Akbash Dog vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
Siberian Husky is originated from Russia but Akbash Dog is originated from Turkey. Siberian Husky may grow 24 cm / 9 inches shorter than Akbash Dog. Siberian Husky may weigh 38 kg / 83 pounds lesser than Akbash Dog. Siberian Husky may live 3 years more than Akbash Dog. Both Siberian Husky and Akbash Dog has almost same litter size. Both Siberian Husky and Akbash Dog requires Moderate Maintenance.
Chukchi is a tribe in Siberian nomads and huskies are beleived to be originated with them. DNA tests on huskies prove that they are the oldest among the dog breeds. Huskies are very close to Chukchi people and they used them to travel fast. Also children used to sleep with them as they provide body heat to them. Huskies also like to be very close to the children. In 1908 at the gold rush, huskies were imported to Alaska and used as sled dogs. In Alaska they were used for dog sled race until today.
Huskies were exported from Siberia and they continued their journey in North America. American kennel club recognized them in 1930 and the Siberian club of america has been founded in 1938.
Akbash breed became popular in the 1970s. Around that period, Akbash was introduced to North America. There is archeological evidence that this breed was popular even in the 750-300 BC. Of course, it wasn’t the exact dog as we know it today, but there are many similarities between Akbash and dog from the ancient period. This breed was developed in Turkey to be a guardian dog. They were perfect flock guardians.
The Huskies are said to be one of the beautiful dog breeds in the world. They are well known for their thick coat and blue coloured eyes. Huskies are really challenging for new dog owners. It is preferred to give them a fenced yard and the fence should be sunk well to the ground to prevent them from escaping, as they always try to escape. They are medium sized working dogs having high energy level. Initially huskies were developed as sled dogs.
They are affectionate and intelligent breed. Also they are independent in nature. They are kid friendly dogs and also are friendly with everyone including strangers. Huskies will be a good companion when given proper training and care. They are low shedders but it depends on the climate it lives. Normally they dont shed in cold climate but in warmer climate they will do. They shed heavily twice in a year for a three week strech. Normally huskies do not suit well for apartment living. They are not watchdogs as they will bark very rarely but it enjoys to howl.
Weight of the Akbash dog variates from 41-64kg, while their height is 71-78cm. Female Akbash is smaller than a male Akbash, but not for much. A lifespan of an average Akbash dog is 10-11 years, but if they have cared properly, they tend to live longer. Litter Size of Akbash is 8-9 puppies. Another Name for Akbash is Akbas Coban Kopegi, Coban Kopegi.
Siberian husky suffers with minor health problems such as hypothyroidism, Progressive retinal atrophy and cataract. They are also prone to lose pigment in nose and muzzle. Some health problems occur due to bad breeding practices and some due to environmental problems where the puppy is brought up. They have also chances to get skin disease such as allergies.
When they are in the age of 2 to 5 years, they are having chances to hairloss due to Alopecia X. This condition mainly causes due to hair clipping in Siberians. They will be healthy but the hair will not grow in affected areas. Siberians are double coated and when the situation prevails the topcoat will fall off first and the undercoat follows it. The hair will fall off in both side of the dog in same area. Spaying or neutering will reduce such problems as it causes because of sex hormones.
Caring The Pet
Feeding the puppy
In one method of feeding the food will be given always available but this method is not recommended as it has some problems. This method is followed by large breeders because of lack of time to spend on individuals. Another method is to keep meal for 3 times a day. At about 12 to 16 weeks of age the meals can be reduced to two times a day. In this method the meal given should not be there after 15 minutes even if puppy did not ate. The important training for puppies while eating is they should not growl when the food is taken by its master.
Feeding the adult
Many Siberian experts don't like commercial dog food as they are sure that because of such foods dog may get problems like itching, dandruff, loose stools and hot spots. According to experts the good food for them are home cooked food from turkey, real chicken, beef and fish. Fruits and fresh vegetables are also very good for them. It is advised by dog owners to add only low salt or even without salt in their food. Also sugar is not good for them as it will bring some problems like hairfall and itching.
Points for Good Health
Siberians can be easily groomed. Their eyes should be checked in puppyhood as they get chances to get eye problems and hereditary eye diseases. It is advised to make siberians to bath once in a year and they must be brushed once in a week. While brushing, the ears should be inspected and its teeth should be brushed. It is good to trim the long hairs in their feet and also nails should be trimmed slightly and very carefully as they have blood vessels there.
Games and Exercises
To give siberians training and exercises the home should be prepared for them and it is better to make a fenced yard to prevent escapes. They have very high chances to escape and so the fence should be minimum 6 feet high and base should be strong as it should not break it or dig under to escape. Since they are active from their puppyhood they must be given lots of exercise. They should be socialized in their early stages as to get good behaviour and manners.
Feeding the Akbash
Akbash dog is very easy to care. They can stay fit on a minimum amount of food. 2-2.5 cups divided into two meals would be ideal for your dog. They require meat, so giving them dry industrial food can be a solid substitute. Vegetables and oil can also be included in meals. It will keep your dog healthy and happy.
Feeding the Akbash
Puppies have to eat more meals per day. It is the best to give your puppy Akbash 3-5 meals per day. Those meals should be divided into smaller portions. It is recommended to give your puppy all necessary vitamins and minerals that include calcium for stronger bones. It will improve the overall health of your dog, and it will help it develop into a healthy adult dog.
Grooming the Akbash
Akbash will request some grooming, but they are not very difficult to groom. They require regular grooming. Every few days will be enough, except when they are shedding. Akbash will need daily grooming when shed. You can bath your pet occasionally, but not very often. Bathing, if necessary, should be done only 5-6 times a year. There is no need for more.
They are very good diggers and so they should be watched if they are in garden. They tolerate well in cold weather and mostly huskies can be seen in the area of snow falling. They are very good in pulling sledges.
They adapt well in cold weather. It is advised to give them a well fenced yard. They do not like apartment living. Also they do not like to be alone and if kept alone for long time they will disturb your house and make it dirty.
Training huskies is not so easy but it is a challenging job. Hence they are not recommended for new dog owners. Only experienced dog owners can train them and also high patience is required.
Have in mind that Akbash is a large and powerful dog. They are bred through generations to be guardians and suspicious. They are very independent because they tend to make their own decisions while guarding flocks. They will require adequate socialization, but overall, they are very intelligent and they tend to learn quickly. It requires time and patience, but are great pets for right owners. Akbash has a white to biscuit color coat. They also have a dark pigment around nose, eyes, and mouth. Akbash is very quick and agile dog, which might be surprised because of its size.
It is important to train them since the puppyhood. They are working dogs and they will be happy when they have tasks during training. Due to their independence, consistent and steady training is important. An old-fashioned way of training that includes punishment is not recommendable. Positive training with awards is the best way to train your Akbash dog. They do not require a lot of daily exercises. Daily walks would do more than enough. Younger dogs need more exercise than more mature ones. They can be very good for other animals, but they have to be socialized with them. It is the best way to socialize your dog when it is still a puppy.
Comparison with other breeds
- Siberian Husky vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs French Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Yorkshire Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs English Pointer - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs French Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Yorkshire Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs English Pointer - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Doberman Pinscher - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs American Bully - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Abruzzenhund - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Affenpinscher - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Afghan Hound - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Aidi - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Airedale Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Akbash Dog - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Akbash Dog - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Akbash Dog - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Akbash Dog - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Akbash Dog - Breed Comparison