Boxer vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
English Bulldog is originated from United Kingdom but Boxer is originated from Germany. English Bulldog may grow 23 cm / 9 inches shorter than Boxer. English Bulldog may weigh 7 kg / 15 pounds lesser than Boxer. English Bulldog may live 3 years less than Boxer. English Bulldog may have less litter size than Boxer. Both English Bulldog and Boxer requires Low Maintenance.
At earlier time Bulldogs were not as it was now. They were taller and was fierce in their nature. They were completely developed in England.The first breed was set in at about 1500. After that they were involved in a game called Bull baiting in England, where a fight was set in between a Bull and the Bulldog.
Bulldogs will be on full fierce by biting and holding the bull even when they jump or struggle, until they fall on the ground. After that Bull baiting was banned in England, and everyone thought Bulldog will disappear. But some breeders re engineered it and made it as it was now. In 1950s Bulldogs ranked among top 10 in America.
In the late 19th century boxer was developed in Germany. It is a part of the Molosser dog group. The breed Brabanter Bullenbeisser is said to be the ancestor of the Boxer. He got the name Boxer as he stands with his back legs and does like a boxer do. In 1895 the breed came to a dog show by three germans named Friedrich Robert, Elard Konig and Hopner. In 1896 they founded the first boxer club as Deutscher Boxer Club. In 1902 the first Boxer breed standard was published by the club. The breed was introduced to United States in 20th century. The boxer involved in military work and also worked as a messenger dog. After 2nd world war they became popular as the soldiers brought them and introduced.
Bulldogs are muscular in nature. They easily gain over weight and so exercising them is very mandatory. They are well suitable for apartment living, since they will always like to lie down and sleep. They will woke up only for their food. But they are very much faithful for their owners and it will be seen very loving when they come near and look at you.
Since they face respiratory problems they should not be compelled to play for very long time. Their look may be ferocious but they are very calm and loving towards others unless you do any harm to them or their owners.
Boxer is a breed which is medium in size and has short hair. They have very strong jaws as to hunt large prey even hanging on biting them. It belongs to the working group. Boxers are well known for their love and faithfullness. Also he is very intelligent and its cleanliness makes him to be good dog for home. They are very energetic and are playful in nature. When boxers where trained by giving reward to them it is sure that they will perform its best. Normally they like to have good companionship with humans and smaller dogs.
They are incredible in their alertness and well suitable for watchdog. Boxers will be playful and silly till 3 years as they will mature after that only. They require only a minimum amount of grooming. They are suitable for apartment living until they are with their owners. Boxer owners will be sure to enjoy its clownish behaviour. They will be excited many time and show that by spinning in circles and making a sound which the owner will understand that he is happy or he needs some thing which is in the hands of his owner.
Bulldog has chances of getting skin problems and hair fall is the initial for those skin problems. Normally they shed hair upto a considerable level.
The major health problems Boxers get includes Cancer, heart problems such as Aortic stenosis, Gastric dilatation and intestinal problems. Infection is the major problem in puppies. Boxers are also in a risk of getting degenerative myelopathy which is a neurologic problem. Allergies and skin problems are also a problem in them. It is difficult to recognize a growing puppy to be free from all diseases and the only thing we can do is to buy the puppy from a reputable breeder.
Boxers may lose their hair due to some diseases and conditions. When some materials such as nickel, rubber and wool are accidentally touched by them it may cause allergies and hairfall follows it. Some auto immune disorders leads to hairfall. Due to some inhalation of pollen or house dust the problem may happen. Some bacterial infection and hormonal problems may also leads to hairfall.
Caring The Pet
Feeding the puppy
The puppy needs more energy and nutrients for its growth, so they must be fed several times a day but the amount should be less. They should not be given raw meat and foods that may be gone bad. The food given to puppy should be allowed to eat for only 20 minutes. After that time if balance food remains in bowl they should be removed and for the next meal new food should be given.
The puppy shall be given cooked food which we eat and it is preferable to give cooked meat and bones three times a week. Salt should be added less for them and sugar should not be given.
Feeding the adult
The bulldog can be fed 1 to 2 times per day, that is morning and evening. It is not recommended to give them soybean oil, chocolates and onions. Kibbles can also be given to them.
Points for Good Health
Nutritional food is the main factor for their health and the vaccinations should be made at the right time with consulting the veterinarian.
Games and Exercises
Bulldogs may have less energy, but they love to play. They can be made to chase after a ball or Frisbee. But short chasing will be good for them. They should not be made to play in hot sun as they suffer with some heat problems. Also they are interested in playing Tug of war, Hide and seek and solving puzzles.
Feeding the puppy
Normally puppies require more food than adults to meet their energy requirement for growth. They should be fed in a correct time interval. The puppy food for large dogs must be chosen for their health. Boxer puppies must be fed twice in a day and two cups of food will be better for them for one time. Upto 6 months this method is recommended. Feeding them by dividing the meals into smaller portion will be good since they will eat too much and very fast. Weight of the puppy should be checked regularly and food should be given according to that.
Feeding the adult
The food given to the boxer will effect in the dog's health and its life span too. Also it should match our budget also. Overfeeding will make them overweight and thus bringing harm to them. It is recommended to feed boxer two times a day to avoid bloat. Food should be given such that the dog completely eats it and if they can't eat completely then the balance food must be thrown away to avoid over eating. They should not be given food while we eat even once as it will develop begging behaviour in them.
Games and Exercises
Boxers are not suitable for living in outdoors, since they have short coats and short noses. But they like to play in a fenced yard. It is recommended to make them walk for half an hour twice a day. Playing flyball with them will make them happy and making him exercised will give him a good behaviour.
They are the best companion dogs. They take decisions after thinking for a while. They are very faithful for their owners, and if anybody does harm to their owners infront of them, then they will show their full energy and teach a lesson to them.
They adapt well for apartment living. They can be leaved alone in home for some hours but they love to stay with anyone in the house. They love to live in moderate weather, both hot and cold weather will bring problems to them.
Bulldog will not do all things you order them, as they think well and take their decision well. They think what will they get by doing what you say, and then only they will do it.
They are good kid friendly dogs. He is famous for his alertness and thus a wonderful watchdog. He loves to play with children. The nature of dog varies according to the heredity and society. The temperaments of the parents will effect in the puppy. Boxer is a friendly companion and loves to be with its family all the time and play with them.
Boxers are good for apartment living provided they are taken for a walk and exercised daily. It will be good if anyone stays with him always since he doesn't like being alone. He should be taken out only in a moderate weather as both hot and cold weather cannot be tolerated by him. He will suffer a lot in hot weather when compared with cold.
Training is necessary for them to refreshed physically and mentally. Boxer is a quick learner and rewarding them will make them more interested in doing it. Training should be started from basic commands like sit, stay and come. Boxer should be trained to not jump on visitors who come. They are very energetic and powerful and are eager to learn if properly taught.
Comparison with other breeds
- German Shepherd vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Golden Retriever vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Labrador Retriever vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- French Bulldog vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Beagle vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Yorkshire Terrier vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs French Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Yorkshire Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Boxer - Breed Comparison