Poodle vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
Beagle is originated from United Kingdom but Poodle is originated from Germany. Both Beagle and Poodle are having almost same height. Beagle may weigh 23 kg / 50 pounds lesser than Poodle. Both Beagle and Poodle has almost same life span. Beagle may have more litter size than Poodle. Beagle requires Low Maintenance. But Poodle requires High Maintenance
There are some accounts of similar size dogs used for hunting in Greece in 5th century BCE. During 8th century the Talbot Hound breed was created. In 11th century Talbot Hound was brought to England by William the Conqueror. While using in hunting they are found to be a slow runner. To overcome the situation and increase their running speed the hunting people bred Talbot Hound with Grey hounds. The beagles described earlier were very small in size and are said as pocket beagles.
Poodles are said to be older breed which is developed to hunt waterfowl. They have their origin in Germany and developed as a breed in France. Many different arguements are there in their development. One of the arguement says that they are developed as a result of crossing European Water dogs. Egyptian and Roman histories have proof of Poodles in their drawings and statues. They were categorized into three types according to their size and are Miniature, Toy and Standard.
They are small and compact breed, and always happy and fun loving. They should be trained by patient and creative training techniques. Beagles are very much interested in using their nose in finding interesting scents and are food focussed. They always wake their neighbours at 6 am by their half howling. They think everyone is their best friend and love to have friendship with other animals and humans. They have about 220 million scent receptors and are said as "a nose with feet" by humorist Dave Barry.
We can see beagles at many airports in their duty. They can easily trace out the illegal things being smuggled. Since they are small in size they are suitable for apartment living. But they like to walk around several times. They should be exercised for plenty of time. Obedience training should be given to them by giving food reward. Beagles are wanderers of nature and so if possible they will try to escape. So it is necessary to make them microchipped or to wear a collar, to find them easily.
Poodles today lives a luxury life but actually they are bred to do work. They are well known for their intelligence and are really water retriever. This is because they show their energy in hunting waterfowl. The name Poodle is said to got from German word "Pudel" which means "splash in the water".
Their hair is trimmed in such a way to make them swim easily. Hair is not trimmed in the joints and organs such that to protect them from cold water. Poodles are well known for their wonderful personality and intelligence. Also they are very obedient and a good companion. They won't be happy if left alone for a long time. Poodles are interested in playing games with people. They perform very well if given a proper training. Good manners should be taught to them as they remember all things they have learned.
Beagle's ears should be checked occasionally for any sign of infections like discoloured wax, dirt or foul odour. Also their nails should be trimmed regularly. They should be exercised regularly in order to maintain a proper weight. The most common health problems in beagles are obesity, epilepsy and allergies.
They are average shedders and having short hair thus it is easy to groom. They should be made to bath with a mild and non irritant shampoo.
Usually poodles don't shed at all. Excessive shedding is the smptom of allergies in them. When they get other problems shedding accompanies with it. Even an infection may cause hairfall. Ringworm infections and pests should be controlled using appropriate medicines.
Caring The Pet
Feeding the puppy
After 4 weeks of birth the puppy can be given solid foods by slowly increasing the ratio for many weeks. The recommended food is fresh meat of chicken breast, lamb, turkey and lean hamburger. The vegetables can be given as raw or steamed. The vegetables that will be good for them are raw baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and sweet peas. The puppies should be fed 3 to 4 small meals per day as they require more nutrients for their growth.
Feeding the adult
The grown up dog should be fed with the same food and 1 complete meal is enough for them. The meal should be given at noon. The food should be given based on calories as they should not get overweight. In addition to food, fruits such as blueberries, raspberries, banana and mango can also be given to them periodically.
Points for Good Health
Beagles should be exercised daily in order to maintain proper weight. Beagles are average shedders and having short hair which is easy to groom. They should be made to bath periodically with a mild shampoo.
Games and Exercises
Moderate exercise such as walking and cardio exercise such as chasing a ball should be given to them for staying them to be active and for maintaining good health.
Feeding the puppy
Usually puppy eats more food than an adult dog. This is because they need more food to support growth. Actully puppies need two to four times more food than adult. Puppies should eat in such a way that their ribs should not be seen and waist must be visible.
Feeding the adult
Poodles can be fed with proteinous food, healthy grains, vegetables and fruits. They love to eat organs such as liver, kidney, brain and chicken breast, turkey and fish. Vegetables such as baby carrots, spinach and peas can be given to them. Make them to eat fruits like raspberries, banana and melon.
Points for Good Health
Dry kibble is not good for their teeth. Even some premium quality foods are not good for their health. Pig's ears are not safe to chew for them. Vaccinations should be made at the right time.
Games and Exercises
Exercises play an important role in their health and even extend their life. Poodles should be made to walk regularly. Exercising must be done to a particular level and they should not be over exercised.
They have millions of scent receptors and so they can be seen in Airports and many important places in duty. Also they are interested in hunting small rodents.
They adapt well for apartment living but they don't like being alone for a long time. If kept alone for a long time in back yard they will begin to bark and dig pit or try to escape. Beagle likes hot weather more than cold weather.
Beagles are difficult to train up. Many people say it will take about one year to house train beagles. They have an attitude of "what's in it for me". But it depends on the personality and temperament of the individual.
Poodles are specialist in hunting water birds. They are good in swimming since they are covered with fur water will not easily get into their ears. They are well known for their intelligence like humans.
They are well suited for apartment living but won't be happy if left alone. They will tolerate hot weather better when compared with cold.
They are quick learners and learn good and bad things very quickly. Once they learn, they won't forget it up. Since poodles are so intelligent they are very easy to train.
Comparison with other breeds
- Beagle vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Beagle vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Beagle vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Beagle vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Beagle vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Beagle vs French Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Yorkshire Terrier vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs French Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs Yorkshire Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Poodle - Breed Comparison