Rottweiler vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
English Bulldog is originated from United Kingdom but Rottweiler is originated from Germany. English Bulldog may grow 29 cm / 11 inches shorter than Rottweiler. English Bulldog may weigh 35 kg / 77 pounds lesser than Rottweiler. Both English Bulldog and Rottweiler has almost same life span. English Bulldog may have less litter size than Rottweiler. Both English Bulldog and Rottweiler requires Low Maintenance.
At earlier time Bulldogs were not as it was now. They were taller and was fierce in their nature. They were completely developed in England.The first breed was set in at about 1500. After that they were involved in a game called Bull baiting in England, where a fight was set in between a Bull and the Bulldog.
Bulldogs will be on full fierce by biting and holding the bull even when they jump or struggle, until they fall on the ground. After that Bull baiting was banned in England, and everyone thought Bulldog will disappear. But some breeders re engineered it and made it as it was now. In 1950s Bulldogs ranked among top 10 in America.
It is beleived to be the Rottweiler has been developed from the Roman cattle dogs. The Roman empire made a camp in a place at Germany in 74 AD. The area was called as 'das Rote Wil' and later as 'Rottweil'. In the middle ages Rottweiler was used in bear hunting and as a cattle dog. In 1899 the International club for Leonbergers and Rottweiler dogs was formed in Germany. In 19th century due to set in of railways the cattle was moved by railways and the need for the breed declined. When the world war was set in there came a heavy demand for police dogs. Rottweilers played a major role in first and second world war.
In 1921 many German Rottweiler clubs joined together to form ADRK, which is Allgemeiner Deutscher Rottweiler Klub. This is said to be the home club of Rottweiler. American kennel club recognised them in 1931. They become 9th most popular breed in America in 2013.
Bulldogs are muscular in nature. They easily gain over weight and so exercising them is very mandatory. They are well suitable for apartment living, since they will always like to lie down and sleep. They will woke up only for their food. But they are very much faithful for their owners and it will be seen very loving when they come near and look at you.
Since they face respiratory problems they should not be compelled to play for very long time. Their look may be ferocious but they are very calm and loving towards others unless you do any harm to them or their owners.
Rottweilers are good natured, obedient and are very much eager to work. They are calm, confident and an excellent watchdog. They will not make friends immediately. Rottweilers can be said as an all purpose dog since they are suitable as companion and watch dog as well. He is good in herding and guarding as genital feature. Rottweiler must be trained from its younger stage and should not be hit while training. They have high energy level and thus they are interested in doing work if properly trained. There are more possibilities of biting the strangers because of watchdog tendency.
They are very good in herding sheeps as they have a natural gathering style. They are clever and adjusts the barking sound according to the situation. While herding they used to prove the leadership by selecting the dominant one in the flock and challenging it. If they were made to watch a same flock of cattle regularly, then they will develop a bond with them and will be affectionate with them as long as the cattle obeys its commands.
Bulldog has chances of getting skin problems and hair fall is the initial for those skin problems. Normally they shed hair upto a considerable level.
The health issues affecting the eyes of them are Cataract and Progressive Retinal Atropy. Health problems common in their joints are Hip Dysplasia, Elbow Dysplasia and Panosteitis. They also have chances to get circulatory system problems like Aortic Stenosis and Von Willebrand's Disease. Other common health problems in Rottweiler are Bloat and Cancer.
Mostly people think that Rottweilers don't shed but they are short haired dog and sheds more. They are having double coat that is undercoat and topcoat. The undercoat is softer and protects them in winter and topcoat is rougher and visible. It is said that they will shed in spring and winter seasons. Shedding can be reduced by brushing them.
Caring The Pet
Feeding the puppy
The puppy needs more energy and nutrients for its growth, so they must be fed several times a day but the amount should be less. They should not be given raw meat and foods that may be gone bad. The food given to puppy should be allowed to eat for only 20 minutes. After that time if balance food remains in bowl they should be removed and for the next meal new food should be given.
The puppy shall be given cooked food which we eat and it is preferable to give cooked meat and bones three times a week. Salt should be added less for them and sugar should not be given.
Feeding the adult
The bulldog can be fed 1 to 2 times per day, that is morning and evening. It is not recommended to give them soybean oil, chocolates and onions. Kibbles can also be given to them.
Points for Good Health
Nutritional food is the main factor for their health and the vaccinations should be made at the right time with consulting the veterinarian.
Games and Exercises
Bulldogs may have less energy, but they love to play. They can be made to chase after a ball or Frisbee. But short chasing will be good for them. They should not be made to play in hot sun as they suffer with some heat problems. Also they are interested in playing Tug of war, Hide and seek and solving puzzles.
Feeding the puppy
Rottweiler puppies should be given a diet which has protein, carbohydrates and fats. They need different diets in their growing stages. They can be given chicken with bones and vegetables for 4 days in a week. Beef with vegetables can also be given. When feeding them red meat a raw meaty bone can also be included. Fish oil can be given such that starting with 1000 mg and making it to 3000 mg in a time of two weeks.
Feeding the adult
High calories of protein should be provided to them to meet their energy requirements. While buying commercial food it should be checked for the main ingredient to be meat. Protein levels should be more from animals than vegetables. High quality dairy products should be included. Food should not have low quality flavours and preservatives. Healthy fat is necessary for their skin and coat. If these fats are not provided it will cause dandruff and itchy skin.
Points for Good Health
Brushing them weekly once is recommended for their coat and skin. Buying the puppy from reputable breeder will be better. Vaccinations and preventive medicines should be given on right time. Spaying and Neutering should be done to avoid unwanted pregnancy. High quality diet should be maintained. Making them to bath once in a week is advisable. Nails should be trimmed once in every two weeks.
Games and Exercises
Rottweilers like to chase something and Laser pointer will be a good game for them. It will make them busy and also entertain us. But it should be on a limit and they should not get bored. A treat or toy can be hided and they can be made to find it. A bottle should be filled with water and frozen. The frozen bottle can be given to them for playing. In summer time it will make them very happy to play with it. A ball or toy can be thrown and they can be made to fetch it. Walking them is also a good exercise.
They are the best companion dogs. They take decisions after thinking for a while. They are very faithful for their owners, and if anybody does harm to their owners infront of them, then they will show their full energy and teach a lesson to them.
They adapt well for apartment living. They can be leaved alone in home for some hours but they love to stay with anyone in the house. They love to live in moderate weather, both hot and cold weather will bring problems to them.
Bulldog will not do all things you order them, as they think well and take their decision well. They think what will they get by doing what you say, and then only they will do it.
They are friendly with children and enjoy the company with them. But it is not advised to leave them with children without adult supervision.
Rottweilers do not make friends immediately but take time to know about new people. He is an excellent watchdog. Males are quiet in nature but are watchful and females are more affectionate and obey some more. A good training is required for them to obey your orders.
They are not good for apartment life and thus a fenced back yard will be better for them to play and spend the energy. They require companion and will be happy to walk around with you. Hot weather will be some what better for them when compared with cold.
Rottweilers are easy to train because of their high intelligence. The training should be started in their young stage to have best results. They should not be dominated but treated kindly with understanding. They should be comfortable with the surroundings and people. Giving him a reward for training will make him interested in doing it. If he does a mistake then he should not be hit, so that he may get fear and loss his interest in doing it. Punishments will never work for them but rewarding will make him encouraged. Simple commands such as sit and stand shall be taught to them.
Comparison with other breeds
- German Shepherd vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Golden Retriever vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Labrador Retriever vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- French Bulldog vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Beagle vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Yorkshire Terrier vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs French Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Yorkshire Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison