Doberman Pinscher vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
Both Rottweiler and Doberman Pinscher are originated from Germany. Both Rottweiler and Doberman Pinscher are having almost same height. Rottweiler may weigh 15 kg / 34 pounds more than Doberman Pinscher. Both Rottweiler and Doberman Pinscher has same life span. Both Rottweiler and Doberman Pinscher has almost same litter size. Both Rottweiler and Doberman Pinscher requires Low Maintenance.
It is beleived to be the Rottweiler has been developed from the Roman cattle dogs. The Roman empire made a camp in a place at Germany in 74 AD. The area was called as 'das Rote Wil' and later as 'Rottweil'. In the middle ages Rottweiler was used in bear hunting and as a cattle dog. In 1899 the International club for Leonbergers and Rottweiler dogs was formed in Germany. In 19th century due to set in of railways the cattle was moved by railways and the need for the breed declined. When the world war was set in there came a heavy demand for police dogs. Rottweilers played a major role in first and second world war.
In 1921 many German Rottweiler clubs joined together to form ADRK, which is Allgemeiner Deutscher Rottweiler Klub. This is said to be the home club of Rottweiler. American kennel club recognised them in 1931. They become 9th most popular breed in America in 2013.
The origin of Doberman is Apolda, in Germany in 1890. It was officially recognized as a breed in 1900. The name originally called as Thuringer pinscher or Plizeilichi and the peer was renamed as DOBERMAN PINSCHER in 1899.American Kennel Club recognized DOBERMAN PINSCHER in 1908. The German tax collector called Karl friedrich developed Doberman.
He developed a breed that would be able to protect him from his surroundings and from his neighborhoods. This Dober also ran as a local animal shelter and approch many dogs for his breeding program. But karl did not kept any proper records or document for this breeds origin. Dobeis are also found through United States, Russia and South Africa.
Rottweilers are good natured, obedient and are very much eager to work. They are calm, confident and an excellent watchdog. They will not make friends immediately. Rottweilers can be said as an all purpose dog since they are suitable as companion and watch dog as well. He is good in herding and guarding as genital feature. Rottweiler must be trained from its younger stage and should not be hit while training. They have high energy level and thus they are interested in doing work if properly trained. There are more possibilities of biting the strangers because of watchdog tendency.
They are very good in herding sheeps as they have a natural gathering style. They are clever and adjusts the barking sound according to the situation. While herding they used to prove the leadership by selecting the dominant one in the flock and challenging it. If they were made to watch a same flock of cattle regularly, then they will develop a bond with them and will be affectionate with them as long as the cattle obeys its commands.
Dobermans are certainly shorthaired mixed –breed shepherd dogs, this kind of dogs are chosen only for their intelligent, sound and endure. This breed is best in attitude and appearance, and now it is found in world wide. Dobermans are highly intelligent and fast runners. So mostly dobers are only suited for Police, Army and Guard works. Dobies are also used as guide dogs for the blind.
They are very elegant in appearance. Dobies are watchful, determined, energetic, fearless, obedient, alert and loyal. Dobies are short coat so it is easy for care. Brushing regularly can avoid shedding at home. They have almond shaped eyes, they have long narrow heads. The Doberman ears are often cropped but many of the owners like dobers by their nature. Dobers looking was always like a graceful giant.
The health issues affecting the eyes of them are Cataract and Progressive Retinal Atropy. Health problems common in their joints are Hip Dysplasia, Elbow Dysplasia and Panosteitis. They also have chances to get circulatory system problems like Aortic Stenosis and Von Willebrand's Disease. Other common health problems in Rottweiler are Bloat and Cancer.
Mostly people think that Rottweilers don't shed but they are short haired dog and sheds more. They are having double coat that is undercoat and topcoat. The undercoat is softer and protects them in winter and topcoat is rougher and visible. It is said that they will shed in spring and winter seasons. Shedding can be reduced by brushing them.
Caring The Pet
Feeding the puppy
Rottweiler puppies should be given a diet which has protein, carbohydrates and fats. They need different diets in their growing stages. They can be given chicken with bones and vegetables for 4 days in a week. Beef with vegetables can also be given. When feeding them red meat a raw meaty bone can also be included. Fish oil can be given such that starting with 1000 mg and making it to 3000 mg in a time of two weeks.
Feeding the adult
High calories of protein should be provided to them to meet their energy requirements. While buying commercial food it should be checked for the main ingredient to be meat. Protein levels should be more from animals than vegetables. High quality dairy products should be included. Food should not have low quality flavours and preservatives. Healthy fat is necessary for their skin and coat. If these fats are not provided it will cause dandruff and itchy skin.
Points for Good Health
Brushing them weekly once is recommended for their coat and skin. Buying the puppy from reputable breeder will be better. Vaccinations and preventive medicines should be given on right time. Spaying and Neutering should be done to avoid unwanted pregnancy. High quality diet should be maintained. Making them to bath once in a week is advisable. Nails should be trimmed once in every two weeks.
Games and Exercises
Rottweilers like to chase something and Laser pointer will be a good game for them. It will make them busy and also entertain us. But it should be on a limit and they should not get bored. A treat or toy can be hided and they can be made to find it. A bottle should be filled with water and frozen. The frozen bottle can be given to them for playing. In summer time it will make them very happy to play with it. A ball or toy can be thrown and they can be made to fetch it. Walking them is also a good exercise.
Dobers are mostly come in black, blue, red or fawn. Dobers are low maintenance for grooming. They were clean dogs because they never make a strong dog odor. Using brush in dobers hair for once per week reduces hair fall control. Dobers are not requiring frequent bathing most of the owners are getting bath for 3 or 4 times per year in grooming.
Feeding the puppy
You can feed your puppy 2-3 small meals per day until it was 4 months old. And then have to decrease one meal and two for a day. And often you should not keep food and leave food sitting out all the time. Then after six months needs to stop feeding much vitamins and minerals because it leads a several health problems in his muscle and joints.
This type of dogs should not be tied up alone outside, because it should be manifest itself by barking chewing. The people who are working for a long time should not be adopting this type of dogs. Naturally dobers are well protective to our home and people. At the same time small children must be supervised. At the same time if we are not strict, dobers would be get out of our hand.
Rottweilers do not make friends immediately but take time to know about new people. He is an excellent watchdog. Males are quiet in nature but are watchful and females are more affectionate and obey some more. A good training is required for them to obey your orders.
They are not good for apartment life and thus a fenced back yard will be better for them to play and spend the energy. They require companion and will be happy to walk around with you. Hot weather will be some what better for them when compared with cold.
Rottweilers are easy to train because of their high intelligence. The training should be started in their young stage to have best results. They should not be dominated but treated kindly with understanding. They should be comfortable with the surroundings and people. Giving him a reward for training will make him interested in doing it. If he does a mistake then he should not be hit, so that he may get fear and loss his interest in doing it. Punishments will never work for them but rewarding will make him encouraged. Simple commands such as sit and stand shall be taught to them.
Dobermans are individual in personalities. Some dogs are friendly and outgoing; some Dobies are reserved and shy. Some will be more dominant with other dogs it used to chase small dogs and cats. Most of the dobers are soft in character and love companionship with people.
Dobers have high energy level and it requires a lot of exercise in order to avoid harmful behavior to others. We should keep them interested because intelligent dogs are easily got bored. They mostly enjoys only in outing because they will be happy with the people who walks, runs and in bike riding.
When learning new things they are the best. Dobermans are not able to be a lazy. For many years dobers are the only dogs being excellent as police dogs. Because they are highly active in nature so they are interested in new this for learning.
Dobers are apartment adaptable dogs. They used to bark but are close and friendly to people. At the same time we have to train dobers to welcome the guest also.
Comparison with other breeds
- Rottweiler vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs French Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Yorkshire Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs French Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Yorkshire Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs English Pointer - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Doberman Pinscher - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs Doberman Pinscher - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs Doberman Pinscher - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs Doberman Pinscher - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs Doberman Pinscher - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs Doberman Pinscher - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Doberman Pinscher - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Doberman Pinscher - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Doberman Pinscher - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Doberman Pinscher - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Doberman Pinscher - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Doberman Pinscher - Breed Comparison