Siberian Husky vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
Poodle is originated from Germany but Siberian Husky is originated from Russia. Poodle may grow 15 cm / 5 inches shorter than Siberian Husky. Poodle may weigh 7 kg / 16 pounds more than Siberian Husky. Both Poodle and Siberian Husky has almost same life span. Both Poodle and Siberian Husky has same litter size. Poodle requires High Maintenance. But Siberian Husky requires Moderate Maintenance
Poodles are said to be older breed which is developed to hunt waterfowl. They have their origin in Germany and developed as a breed in France. Many different arguements are there in their development. One of the arguement says that they are developed as a result of crossing European Water dogs. Egyptian and Roman histories have proof of Poodles in their drawings and statues. They were categorized into three types according to their size and are Miniature, Toy and Standard.
Chukchi is a tribe in Siberian nomads and huskies are beleived to be originated with them. DNA tests on huskies prove that they are the oldest among the dog breeds. Huskies are very close to Chukchi people and they used them to travel fast. Also children used to sleep with them as they provide body heat to them. Huskies also like to be very close to the children. In 1908 at the gold rush, huskies were imported to Alaska and used as sled dogs. In Alaska they were used for dog sled race until today.
Huskies were exported from Siberia and they continued their journey in North America. American kennel club recognized them in 1930 and the Siberian club of america has been founded in 1938.
Poodles today lives a luxury life but actually they are bred to do work. They are well known for their intelligence and are really water retriever. This is because they show their energy in hunting waterfowl. The name Poodle is said to got from German word "Pudel" which means "splash in the water".
Their hair is trimmed in such a way to make them swim easily. Hair is not trimmed in the joints and organs such that to protect them from cold water. Poodles are well known for their wonderful personality and intelligence. Also they are very obedient and a good companion. They won't be happy if left alone for a long time. Poodles are interested in playing games with people. They perform very well if given a proper training. Good manners should be taught to them as they remember all things they have learned.
The Huskies are said to be one of the beautiful dog breeds in the world. They are well known for their thick coat and blue coloured eyes. Huskies are really challenging for new dog owners. It is preferred to give them a fenced yard and the fence should be sunk well to the ground to prevent them from escaping, as they always try to escape. They are medium sized working dogs having high energy level. Initially huskies were developed as sled dogs.
They are affectionate and intelligent breed. Also they are independent in nature. They are kid friendly dogs and also are friendly with everyone including strangers. Huskies will be a good companion when given proper training and care. They are low shedders but it depends on the climate it lives. Normally they dont shed in cold climate but in warmer climate they will do. They shed heavily twice in a year for a three week strech. Normally huskies do not suit well for apartment living. They are not watchdogs as they will bark very rarely but it enjoys to howl.
Usually poodles don't shed at all. Excessive shedding is the smptom of allergies in them. When they get other problems shedding accompanies with it. Even an infection may cause hairfall. Ringworm infections and pests should be controlled using appropriate medicines.
Siberian husky suffers with minor health problems such as hypothyroidism, Progressive retinal atrophy and cataract. They are also prone to lose pigment in nose and muzzle. Some health problems occur due to bad breeding practices and some due to environmental problems where the puppy is brought up. They have also chances to get skin disease such as allergies.
When they are in the age of 2 to 5 years, they are having chances to hairloss due to Alopecia X. This condition mainly causes due to hair clipping in Siberians. They will be healthy but the hair will not grow in affected areas. Siberians are double coated and when the situation prevails the topcoat will fall off first and the undercoat follows it. The hair will fall off in both side of the dog in same area. Spaying or neutering will reduce such problems as it causes because of sex hormones.
Caring The Pet
Feeding the puppy
Usually puppy eats more food than an adult dog. This is because they need more food to support growth. Actully puppies need two to four times more food than adult. Puppies should eat in such a way that their ribs should not be seen and waist must be visible.
Feeding the adult
Poodles can be fed with proteinous food, healthy grains, vegetables and fruits. They love to eat organs such as liver, kidney, brain and chicken breast, turkey and fish. Vegetables such as baby carrots, spinach and peas can be given to them. Make them to eat fruits like raspberries, banana and melon.
Points for Good Health
Dry kibble is not good for their teeth. Even some premium quality foods are not good for their health. Pig's ears are not safe to chew for them. Vaccinations should be made at the right time.
Games and Exercises
Exercises play an important role in their health and even extend their life. Poodles should be made to walk regularly. Exercising must be done to a particular level and they should not be over exercised.
Feeding the puppy
In one method of feeding the food will be given always available but this method is not recommended as it has some problems. This method is followed by large breeders because of lack of time to spend on individuals. Another method is to keep meal for 3 times a day. At about 12 to 16 weeks of age the meals can be reduced to two times a day. In this method the meal given should not be there after 15 minutes even if puppy did not ate. The important training for puppies while eating is they should not growl when the food is taken by its master.
Feeding the adult
Many Siberian experts don't like commercial dog food as they are sure that because of such foods dog may get problems like itching, dandruff, loose stools and hot spots. According to experts the good food for them are home cooked food from turkey, real chicken, beef and fish. Fruits and fresh vegetables are also very good for them. It is advised by dog owners to add only low salt or even without salt in their food. Also sugar is not good for them as it will bring some problems like hairfall and itching.
Points for Good Health
Siberians can be easily groomed. Their eyes should be checked in puppyhood as they get chances to get eye problems and hereditary eye diseases. It is advised to make siberians to bath once in a year and they must be brushed once in a week. While brushing, the ears should be inspected and its teeth should be brushed. It is good to trim the long hairs in their feet and also nails should be trimmed slightly and very carefully as they have blood vessels there.
Games and Exercises
To give siberians training and exercises the home should be prepared for them and it is better to make a fenced yard to prevent escapes. They have very high chances to escape and so the fence should be minimum 6 feet high and base should be strong as it should not break it or dig under to escape. Since they are active from their puppyhood they must be given lots of exercise. They should be socialized in their early stages as to get good behaviour and manners.
Poodles are specialist in hunting water birds. They are good in swimming since they are covered with fur water will not easily get into their ears. They are well known for their intelligence like humans.
They are well suited for apartment living but won't be happy if left alone. They will tolerate hot weather better when compared with cold.
They are quick learners and learn good and bad things very quickly. Once they learn, they won't forget it up. Since poodles are so intelligent they are very easy to train.
They are very good diggers and so they should be watched if they are in garden. They tolerate well in cold weather and mostly huskies can be seen in the area of snow falling. They are very good in pulling sledges.
They adapt well in cold weather. It is advised to give them a well fenced yard. They do not like apartment living. Also they do not like to be alone and if kept alone for long time they will disturb your house and make it dirty.
Training huskies is not so easy but it is a challenging job. Hence they are not recommended for new dog owners. Only experienced dog owners can train them and also high patience is required.
Comparison with other breeds
- Poodle vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs French Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs Yorkshire Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs French Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Yorkshire Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs English Pointer - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison