West Highland White Terrier Dog Information, History, Pictures, Characteristics
The West highland white terrier originated from Poltalloch in Scotland. So they were initially called as Poltalloch terrier and after that they were called as Roseneath terrier. They were initially used for hunting fox, badger, otter and in killing the vermin like rats.
The breed history says that Colonel Malcolm of Poltalloch was the reason for the Westie's white colour. This is because in 19th centuryhe went for hunting with his dogs and accidentally he shot his dog as its colour was as fox. So he decided to breed only white colour dogs.
The Westie can be said as that a small dog having the talents of the big dog. They are very popular for their obedience. They are also working as therapy dogs and also some in search and rescue teams. The home having Westie will have fun always and be enthusiastic. They will suit them for country or city living, but they like to live with their family. They are well suitable for apartment living, but some training should be given to them for not barking. They can stay in home when you are at work. Westie can be taken to travel, whether it may be long vacation or a short visit.
They are quick learners and so training them is not difficult. Mistakes of them can be corrected patiently since they don't like harsh activities against them. Westie will definitely bark when he sees something or hear different sounds. He will bark on seeing visitors or even other dogs. Sometimes they will bark for very silly things but when given appropriate training in their young stage, they can bark only for alerts.
Itchy skin and pyoderma are common in terriers. Skin diseases such as Seborrhea and epidermal dysplasia are also found in them.
Westies have possibilities of getting yeast infections in skin[Malassezia Dermatitis] and due to that hair loss will be more.
Caring The Pet
Feeding the puppy
The puppy should be fed 3 to 4 times per day as it requires a considerable amount for their growth. Cooked chicken breast and turkey are best for them and also vegetables should be given to them. Beef and chicken should be kept a limit as it will lead to itchy skin and allergies.
Feeding the adult
The preferable food for the Westie is home cooked. The home food will only contain all the essential nutrients for the Westie.
Points for Good Health
Eventhough the Westie is suitable for apartment living it is recommended to have a daily walk for him to be active and refreshing.
Games and Exercises
They should be made to play for atleast 30 minutes per day for their health as to not gain overweight. Grown up children can play with them as they like it.
The Westie is friendly with children but not all the time. So some care should be taken while they are near children.
They like to chase rodents like rabbits as they are interested in hunting.
They are suitable for apartment living unless they are left alone for a very long time. They love cold weather more than hot.
They can be trained by giving some extra efforts.
- West Highland White Terrier vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- French Bulldog vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Beagle vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Yorkshire Terrier vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison