American Bully vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
West Highland White Terrier is originated from United Kingdom but American Bully is originated from United States. West Highland White Terrier may grow 20 cm / 7 inches shorter than American Bully. West Highland White Terrier may weigh 40 kg / 88 pounds lesser than American Bully. West Highland White Terrier may live 4 years more than American Bully. Both West Highland White Terrier and American Bully has almost same litter size. West Highland White Terrier requires High Maintenance. But American Bully requires Low Maintenance
The West highland white terrier originated from Poltalloch in Scotland. So they were initially called as Poltalloch terrier and after that they were called as Roseneath terrier. They were initially used for hunting fox, badger, otter and in killing the vermin like rats.
The breed history says that Colonel Malcolm of Poltalloch was the reason for the Westie's white colour. This is because in 19th centuryhe went for hunting with his dogs and accidentally he shot his dog as its colour was as fox. So he decided to breed only white colour dogs.
The American Bully breed was founded in the United States in the mid of 1990s also recognized by the United Kennel Club on July 15, 2013. They are augmentation from the American Pit Bull Terrier breed. The ultimate goal of creating this breed was the best family companion. They are selective breeding which means the characteristics and their temperament are artificial ones. So they are influenced by several other breeds like English Bulldog and Olde English Bulldog. Even though they are selective breeding, they possess the peculiar temperament is ultimate companion to their owners.
The Westie can be said as that a small dog having the talents of the big dog. They are very popular for their obedience. They are also working as therapy dogs and also some in search and rescue teams. The home having Westie will have fun always and be enthusiastic. They will suit them for country or city living, but they like to live with their family. They are well suitable for apartment living, but some training should be given to them for not barking. They can stay in home when you are at work. Westie can be taken to travel, whether it may be long vacation or a short visit.
They are quick learners and so training them is not difficult. Mistakes of them can be corrected patiently since they don't like harsh activities against them. Westie will definitely bark when he sees something or hear different sounds. He will bark on seeing visitors or even other dogs. Sometimes they will bark for very silly things but when given appropriate training in their young stage, they can bark only for alerts.
They have proper muscle tone. They are a good family dog. They are very active and agile because of their head and body proportion are balanced. Even though they are a smooth coat dog, they have a great strength because of their size. The super power of this dog possess tremendous stamina and power. An ultimate are essential for maintain the proper muscle tone and also avoid the gain of overweight. The American Bully dog possesses the intense energy to do well in performance and showcase their talents in the events.
There are four kinds of American Bully. Each and every breed has minor difference in their appearance also characteristics. They are,
- Extra Large (XL)
They have medium and large size compact body than the other varieties. The impression of this dog gives little bit rough and tough. But their behaviour is so gentle and also easily mingle with the people and fellow dogs.
The Classic kind is the inspired American Bully. They are light weight than the other varieties. So they have lighter body and less body mass. They have bones substance only not in buff.
The pocket bully possess the same characteristics and appearance of Standard bully. But the only one difference between both of us is height. The pocket bully is shorter than Standard. Even though it is a pocket bully it does not fit in anyone’s pocket, just for kidding.
Extra Large (XL):
Extra Large bully have heavily muscled. So they are very impressive according to the appearance wise. This is also similar to the Bully Standard, they are same in characteristics, temperament and appearance. They are easily weight gaining.
UKC- United Kennel Club
APBT- American Pit Bull Terrier
Itchy skin and pyoderma are common in terriers. Skin diseases such as Seborrhea and epidermal dysplasia are also found in them.
Westies have possibilities of getting yeast infections in skin[Malassezia Dermatitis] and due to that hair loss will be more.
Joint and Hair fall problems:
Some bully breeders give drugs to their dogs. For the purpose a large muscular body and glossy hair. When the drugs are stopped the dog’s body shrinks back down to a normal size and the hair fall may happen. But it will made many health issues to their dogs, especially it will create organ and joint problems. So better to avoid the usage of drugs.
Sometimes drug’s impact can passed from mother to puppy. If you are adopt a puppy in the market be sure you can find a drug free dog. It will be avoid heritage issues also.
If the Bully have Cherry colour eye, are often affecting by the ectropion and entropion disease. It causes the eyelid is turned outwards away from the eyeball.
Caring The Pet
Feeding the puppy
The puppy should be fed 3 to 4 times per day as it requires a considerable amount for their growth. Cooked chicken breast and turkey are best for them and also vegetables should be given to them. Beef and chicken should be kept a limit as it will lead to itchy skin and allergies.
Feeding the adult
The preferable food for the Westie is home cooked. The home food will only contain all the essential nutrients for the Westie.
Points for Good Health
Eventhough the Westie is suitable for apartment living it is recommended to have a daily walk for him to be active and refreshing.
Games and Exercises
They should be made to play for atleast 30 minutes per day for their health as to not gain overweight. Grown up children can play with them as they like it.
This breed is naturally have glossy hair. So we can easily groom it. If we are using the dry shampoo and brush the hair as necessary for improve the hair’s health. After bathe rub with a piece of towel because this breed is average shedder.
Vaccination should be the top priority for pets. It will prevent the dogs from rabies. Keep the health check-ups frequently at least once a year.
The worms can easily affect our breed. But we are not easily found unless bully avoid having the food and also checking bully’s waste matter. De-Worming can be prevent by checked every three months to the veterinarian.
Vitamin supplements can help your bully’s nutritional health. There are a lot of vitamin supplements are available in market, but we recommended choosing the best American Bully supplements. The best food for bully needs quality meats that contains high protein rich and fat.
Keep doing exercise is improve the bully’s physique. They are very interested to chase Frisbee. But swimming and walking will be good for them. They are keen bond with master and their family members also like to play with fellow dogs.
The Westie is friendly with children but not all the time. So some care should be taken while they are near children.
They like to chase rodents like rabbits as they are interested in hunting.
They are suitable for apartment living unless they are left alone for a very long time. They love cold weather more than hot.
They can be trained by giving some extra efforts.
Ideal Family Companion:
The American Bully is ultimate family companion. They are very loving and gentle with the people and their fellow dogs. They are extremely affectionate with family members.
This breed is the best companion also obedient to their owners. It is very intelligent because they have a decision caliber. If anyone make harm to their master, it will aggressive and ready to bite those people. This breed possesses the loyalty and amiable.
They are love to play with kids. This breeder have unique character like extreme tolerance with children. Even though it may be calm in nature, you have to frequently monitor while playing kids with dogs.
The breed is versatile and capable of accomplishing a wide variety of tasks. Like Frisbee, swimming, hide and seek and throw ball. If athlete train the dog they are perform and showcase their talents in the events. Even though they are outgoing dogs, they strictly follow their rules instruct by the master. They are obedient and trustworthy.
American Bully will do okay in an apartment living. Even though they live in moderate weather, they prefer warm climates only. They are love to live with people or even fellow dogs.
Comparison with other breeds
- West Highland White Terrier vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- French Bulldog vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Beagle vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Yorkshire Terrier vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs French Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Yorkshire Terrier - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs English Pointer - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Doberman Pinscher - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs American Bully - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs American Bully - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs American Bully - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs American Bully - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs American Bully - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs American Bully - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs American Bully - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs American Bully - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs American Bully - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs American Bully - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs American Bully - Breed Comparison