Boxer vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
Labrador Retriever is originated from Canada but Boxer is originated from Germany. Both Labrador Retriever and Boxer are having almost same height. Both Labrador Retriever and Boxer are having almost same weight. Both Labrador Retriever and Boxer has almost same life span. Both Labrador Retriever and Boxer has almost same litter size. Both Labrador Retriever and Boxer requires Low Maintenance.
The Labrador Retriever has its origin from Newfoundland which is an island.Dorset Eskimos are the people who settled down first in Newfoundland. Newfoundland was discovered in 1494 by the Bristol traders from England. The people in the Newfoundland used Lab to help them during fishing.They were recognized as a kennel club breed in England.
The Lab has its special talents in fishing, it nicely holds the fish in its mouth and swims well to bring it to the fisherman who was its master. They are also used to hunt game birds and waterfowl.
In the late 19th century boxer was developed in Germany. It is a part of the Molosser dog group. The breed Brabanter Bullenbeisser is said to be the ancestor of the Boxer. He got the name Boxer as he stands with his back legs and does like a boxer do. In 1895 the breed came to a dog show by three germans named Friedrich Robert, Elard Konig and Hopner. In 1896 they founded the first boxer club as Deutscher Boxer Club. In 1902 the first Boxer breed standard was published by the club. The breed was introduced to United States in 20th century. The boxer involved in military work and also worked as a messenger dog. After 2nd world war they became popular as the soldiers brought them and introduced.
Lab is a nice companion and also it helps in doing several works if it is trained. Lab is the America's most popular breed. They help the hunters, works with police and also serves physically challenged people. They are very friendly and it helps people so much by doing many works. They have very good sensitivity and are so affectionate with family members.
They have very high energy level in their young stage. The Lab is a muscular and athletic dog. They are sweet natured and well deserved. Lab needs physical and mental activities regularly as they are very intelligent and energetic. The pure bred Labs have black, chocolate and yellow colours. They are very interested in hunting and roaming. The young Lab should be given training to swim as a child, as they likes it very much. They takes more time to mature hence remaining as teenager for a long time when compared with other breeds.
Boxer is a breed which is medium in size and has short hair. They have very strong jaws as to hunt large prey even hanging on biting them. It belongs to the working group. Boxers are well known for their love and faithfullness. Also he is very intelligent and its cleanliness makes him to be good dog for home. They are very energetic and are playful in nature. When boxers where trained by giving reward to them it is sure that they will perform its best. Normally they like to have good companionship with humans and smaller dogs.
They are incredible in their alertness and well suitable for watchdog. Boxers will be playful and silly till 3 years as they will mature after that only. They require only a minimum amount of grooming. They are suitable for apartment living until they are with their owners. Boxer owners will be sure to enjoy its clownish behaviour. They will be excited many time and show that by spinning in circles and making a sound which the owner will understand that he is happy or he needs some thing which is in the hands of his owner.
The major health problems Boxers get includes Cancer, heart problems such as Aortic stenosis, Gastric dilatation and intestinal problems. Infection is the major problem in puppies. Boxers are also in a risk of getting degenerative myelopathy which is a neurologic problem. Allergies and skin problems are also a problem in them. It is difficult to recognize a growing puppy to be free from all diseases and the only thing we can do is to buy the puppy from a reputable breeder.
Boxers may lose their hair due to some diseases and conditions. When some materials such as nickel, rubber and wool are accidentally touched by them it may cause allergies and hairfall follows it. Some auto immune disorders leads to hairfall. Due to some inhalation of pollen or house dust the problem may happen. Some bacterial infection and hormonal problems may also leads to hairfall.
Caring The Pet
Feeding the puppy
The 2 month old puppy should be given 200 to 250gms of food. 3 month old puppy should be given 250 to 300gms of food and 6 months older should be given 350 to 450gms. The varieties of food which are popular is kibbles, Barf, wet food and Home cooked puppy food.
Feeding the adult
Lab can be fed by dry kibbles and also by raw meat or bones. Now-a-days most of the Lab are being fed with kibbles. Kibbles are the dried pellets of dog food that can be bought in pet shop or even online. Raw meat and bones are very much popular food among dog owners in UK.
Points for Good Health
For good health, Lab should be fed by a diet controlled food. Because overfeeding will lead to overweight of the dog as it causes weakness of bones.
Games and Exercises
Lab is a very energetic dog, so it should be given some time to play daily. It will be very happy if it is given a fenced ground to play and burn off his natural energy. Also it will be very good for lab if it is given chance to swim weekly once.
Feeding the puppy
Normally puppies require more food than adults to meet their energy requirement for growth. They should be fed in a correct time interval. The puppy food for large dogs must be chosen for their health. Boxer puppies must be fed twice in a day and two cups of food will be better for them for one time. Upto 6 months this method is recommended. Feeding them by dividing the meals into smaller portion will be good since they will eat too much and very fast. Weight of the puppy should be checked regularly and food should be given according to that.
Feeding the adult
The food given to the boxer will effect in the dog's health and its life span too. Also it should match our budget also. Overfeeding will make them overweight and thus bringing harm to them. It is recommended to feed boxer two times a day to avoid bloat. Food should be given such that the dog completely eats it and if they can't eat completely then the balance food must be thrown away to avoid over eating. They should not be given food while we eat even once as it will develop begging behaviour in them.
Games and Exercises
Boxers are not suitable for living in outdoors, since they have short coats and short noses. But they like to play in a fenced yard. It is recommended to make them walk for half an hour twice a day. Playing flyball with them will make them happy and making him exercised will give him a good behaviour.
Lab has a good learning ability and it can learn upto 300 human phrases. They are the 7th most intelligent dog breed.
They are very much interested in playing with kids and are a very good companion for them.
They are good kid friendly dogs. He is famous for his alertness and thus a wonderful watchdog. He loves to play with children. The nature of dog varies according to the heredity and society. The temperaments of the parents will effect in the puppy. Boxer is a friendly companion and loves to be with its family all the time and play with them.
Boxers are good for apartment living provided they are taken for a walk and exercised daily. It will be good if anyone stays with him always since he doesn't like being alone. He should be taken out only in a moderate weather as both hot and cold weather cannot be tolerated by him. He will suffer a lot in hot weather when compared with cold.
Training is necessary for them to refreshed physically and mentally. Boxer is a quick learner and rewarding them will make them more interested in doing it. Training should be started from basic commands like sit, stay and come. Boxer should be trained to not jump on visitors who come. They are very energetic and powerful and are eager to learn if properly taught.
Comparison with other breeds
- Labrador Retriever vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Labrador Retriever vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Labrador Retriever vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- French Bulldog vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Beagle vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Yorkshire Terrier vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs French Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Yorkshire Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Boxer - Breed Comparison