Rottweiler vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
Labrador Retriever is originated from Canada but Rottweiler is originated from Germany. Labrador Retriever may grow 7 cm / 2 inches shorter than Rottweiler. Labrador Retriever may weigh 24 kg / 52 pounds lesser than Rottweiler. Both Labrador Retriever and Rottweiler has almost same life span. Both Labrador Retriever and Rottweiler has almost same litter size. Both Labrador Retriever and Rottweiler requires Low Maintenance.
The Labrador Retriever has its origin from Newfoundland which is an island.Dorset Eskimos are the people who settled down first in Newfoundland. Newfoundland was discovered in 1494 by the Bristol traders from England. The people in the Newfoundland used Lab to help them during fishing.They were recognized as a kennel club breed in England.
The Lab has its special talents in fishing, it nicely holds the fish in its mouth and swims well to bring it to the fisherman who was its master. They are also used to hunt game birds and waterfowl.
It is beleived to be the Rottweiler has been developed from the Roman cattle dogs. The Roman empire made a camp in a place at Germany in 74 AD. The area was called as 'das Rote Wil' and later as 'Rottweil'. In the middle ages Rottweiler was used in bear hunting and as a cattle dog. In 1899 the International club for Leonbergers and Rottweiler dogs was formed in Germany. In 19th century due to set in of railways the cattle was moved by railways and the need for the breed declined. When the world war was set in there came a heavy demand for police dogs. Rottweilers played a major role in first and second world war.
In 1921 many German Rottweiler clubs joined together to form ADRK, which is Allgemeiner Deutscher Rottweiler Klub. This is said to be the home club of Rottweiler. American kennel club recognised them in 1931. They become 9th most popular breed in America in 2013.
Lab is a nice companion and also it helps in doing several works if it is trained. Lab is the America's most popular breed. They help the hunters, works with police and also serves physically challenged people. They are very friendly and it helps people so much by doing many works. They have very good sensitivity and are so affectionate with family members.
They have very high energy level in their young stage. The Lab is a muscular and athletic dog. They are sweet natured and well deserved. Lab needs physical and mental activities regularly as they are very intelligent and energetic. The pure bred Labs have black, chocolate and yellow colours. They are very interested in hunting and roaming. The young Lab should be given training to swim as a child, as they likes it very much. They takes more time to mature hence remaining as teenager for a long time when compared with other breeds.
Rottweilers are good natured, obedient and are very much eager to work. They are calm, confident and an excellent watchdog. They will not make friends immediately. Rottweilers can be said as an all purpose dog since they are suitable as companion and watch dog as well. He is good in herding and guarding as genital feature. Rottweiler must be trained from its younger stage and should not be hit while training. They have high energy level and thus they are interested in doing work if properly trained. There are more possibilities of biting the strangers because of watchdog tendency.
They are very good in herding sheeps as they have a natural gathering style. They are clever and adjusts the barking sound according to the situation. While herding they used to prove the leadership by selecting the dominant one in the flock and challenging it. If they were made to watch a same flock of cattle regularly, then they will develop a bond with them and will be affectionate with them as long as the cattle obeys its commands.
The health issues affecting the eyes of them are Cataract and Progressive Retinal Atropy. Health problems common in their joints are Hip Dysplasia, Elbow Dysplasia and Panosteitis. They also have chances to get circulatory system problems like Aortic Stenosis and Von Willebrand's Disease. Other common health problems in Rottweiler are Bloat and Cancer.
Mostly people think that Rottweilers don't shed but they are short haired dog and sheds more. They are having double coat that is undercoat and topcoat. The undercoat is softer and protects them in winter and topcoat is rougher and visible. It is said that they will shed in spring and winter seasons. Shedding can be reduced by brushing them.
Caring The Pet
Feeding the puppy
The 2 month old puppy should be given 200 to 250gms of food. 3 month old puppy should be given 250 to 300gms of food and 6 months older should be given 350 to 450gms. The varieties of food which are popular is kibbles, Barf, wet food and Home cooked puppy food.
Feeding the adult
Lab can be fed by dry kibbles and also by raw meat or bones. Now-a-days most of the Lab are being fed with kibbles. Kibbles are the dried pellets of dog food that can be bought in pet shop or even online. Raw meat and bones are very much popular food among dog owners in UK.
Points for Good Health
For good health, Lab should be fed by a diet controlled food. Because overfeeding will lead to overweight of the dog as it causes weakness of bones.
Games and Exercises
Lab is a very energetic dog, so it should be given some time to play daily. It will be very happy if it is given a fenced ground to play and burn off his natural energy. Also it will be very good for lab if it is given chance to swim weekly once.
Feeding the puppy
Rottweiler puppies should be given a diet which has protein, carbohydrates and fats. They need different diets in their growing stages. They can be given chicken with bones and vegetables for 4 days in a week. Beef with vegetables can also be given. When feeding them red meat a raw meaty bone can also be included. Fish oil can be given such that starting with 1000 mg and making it to 3000 mg in a time of two weeks.
Feeding the adult
High calories of protein should be provided to them to meet their energy requirements. While buying commercial food it should be checked for the main ingredient to be meat. Protein levels should be more from animals than vegetables. High quality dairy products should be included. Food should not have low quality flavours and preservatives. Healthy fat is necessary for their skin and coat. If these fats are not provided it will cause dandruff and itchy skin.
Points for Good Health
Brushing them weekly once is recommended for their coat and skin. Buying the puppy from reputable breeder will be better. Vaccinations and preventive medicines should be given on right time. Spaying and Neutering should be done to avoid unwanted pregnancy. High quality diet should be maintained. Making them to bath once in a week is advisable. Nails should be trimmed once in every two weeks.
Games and Exercises
Rottweilers like to chase something and Laser pointer will be a good game for them. It will make them busy and also entertain us. But it should be on a limit and they should not get bored. A treat or toy can be hided and they can be made to find it. A bottle should be filled with water and frozen. The frozen bottle can be given to them for playing. In summer time it will make them very happy to play with it. A ball or toy can be thrown and they can be made to fetch it. Walking them is also a good exercise.
Lab has a good learning ability and it can learn upto 300 human phrases. They are the 7th most intelligent dog breed.
They are very much interested in playing with kids and are a very good companion for them.
Rottweilers do not make friends immediately but take time to know about new people. He is an excellent watchdog. Males are quiet in nature but are watchful and females are more affectionate and obey some more. A good training is required for them to obey your orders.
They are not good for apartment life and thus a fenced back yard will be better for them to play and spend the energy. They require companion and will be happy to walk around with you. Hot weather will be some what better for them when compared with cold.
Rottweilers are easy to train because of their high intelligence. The training should be started in their young stage to have best results. They should not be dominated but treated kindly with understanding. They should be comfortable with the surroundings and people. Giving him a reward for training will make him interested in doing it. If he does a mistake then he should not be hit, so that he may get fear and loss his interest in doing it. Punishments will never work for them but rewarding will make him encouraged. Simple commands such as sit and stand shall be taught to them.
Comparison with other breeds
- Labrador Retriever vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Labrador Retriever vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Labrador Retriever vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- French Bulldog vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Beagle vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Yorkshire Terrier vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs French Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Yorkshire Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison