Boxer vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
West Highland White Terrier is originated from United Kingdom but Boxer is originated from Germany. West Highland White Terrier may grow 33 cm / 12 inches shorter than Boxer. West Highland White Terrier may weigh 22 kg / 48 pounds lesser than Boxer. Both West Highland White Terrier and Boxer has almost same life span. West Highland White Terrier may have less litter size than Boxer. West Highland White Terrier requires High Maintenance. But Boxer requires Low Maintenance
The West highland white terrier originated from Poltalloch in Scotland. So they were initially called as Poltalloch terrier and after that they were called as Roseneath terrier. They were initially used for hunting fox, badger, otter and in killing the vermin like rats.
The breed history says that Colonel Malcolm of Poltalloch was the reason for the Westie's white colour. This is because in 19th centuryhe went for hunting with his dogs and accidentally he shot his dog as its colour was as fox. So he decided to breed only white colour dogs.
In the late 19th century boxer was developed in Germany. It is a part of the Molosser dog group. The breed Brabanter Bullenbeisser is said to be the ancestor of the Boxer. He got the name Boxer as he stands with his back legs and does like a boxer do. In 1895 the breed came to a dog show by three germans named Friedrich Robert, Elard Konig and Hopner. In 1896 they founded the first boxer club as Deutscher Boxer Club. In 1902 the first Boxer breed standard was published by the club. The breed was introduced to United States in 20th century. The boxer involved in military work and also worked as a messenger dog. After 2nd world war they became popular as the soldiers brought them and introduced.
The Westie can be said as that a small dog having the talents of the big dog. They are very popular for their obedience. They are also working as therapy dogs and also some in search and rescue teams. The home having Westie will have fun always and be enthusiastic. They will suit them for country or city living, but they like to live with their family. They are well suitable for apartment living, but some training should be given to them for not barking. They can stay in home when you are at work. Westie can be taken to travel, whether it may be long vacation or a short visit.
They are quick learners and so training them is not difficult. Mistakes of them can be corrected patiently since they don't like harsh activities against them. Westie will definitely bark when he sees something or hear different sounds. He will bark on seeing visitors or even other dogs. Sometimes they will bark for very silly things but when given appropriate training in their young stage, they can bark only for alerts.
Boxer is a breed which is medium in size and has short hair. They have very strong jaws as to hunt large prey even hanging on biting them. It belongs to the working group. Boxers are well known for their love and faithfullness. Also he is very intelligent and its cleanliness makes him to be good dog for home. They are very energetic and are playful in nature. When boxers where trained by giving reward to them it is sure that they will perform its best. Normally they like to have good companionship with humans and smaller dogs.
They are incredible in their alertness and well suitable for watchdog. Boxers will be playful and silly till 3 years as they will mature after that only. They require only a minimum amount of grooming. They are suitable for apartment living until they are with their owners. Boxer owners will be sure to enjoy its clownish behaviour. They will be excited many time and show that by spinning in circles and making a sound which the owner will understand that he is happy or he needs some thing which is in the hands of his owner.
Itchy skin and pyoderma are common in terriers. Skin diseases such as Seborrhea and epidermal dysplasia are also found in them.
Westies have possibilities of getting yeast infections in skin[Malassezia Dermatitis] and due to that hair loss will be more.
The major health problems Boxers get includes Cancer, heart problems such as Aortic stenosis, Gastric dilatation and intestinal problems. Infection is the major problem in puppies. Boxers are also in a risk of getting degenerative myelopathy which is a neurologic problem. Allergies and skin problems are also a problem in them. It is difficult to recognize a growing puppy to be free from all diseases and the only thing we can do is to buy the puppy from a reputable breeder.
Boxers may lose their hair due to some diseases and conditions. When some materials such as nickel, rubber and wool are accidentally touched by them it may cause allergies and hairfall follows it. Some auto immune disorders leads to hairfall. Due to some inhalation of pollen or house dust the problem may happen. Some bacterial infection and hormonal problems may also leads to hairfall.
Caring The Pet
Feeding the puppy
The puppy should be fed 3 to 4 times per day as it requires a considerable amount for their growth. Cooked chicken breast and turkey are best for them and also vegetables should be given to them. Beef and chicken should be kept a limit as it will lead to itchy skin and allergies.
Feeding the adult
The preferable food for the Westie is home cooked. The home food will only contain all the essential nutrients for the Westie.
Points for Good Health
Eventhough the Westie is suitable for apartment living it is recommended to have a daily walk for him to be active and refreshing.
Games and Exercises
They should be made to play for atleast 30 minutes per day for their health as to not gain overweight. Grown up children can play with them as they like it.
Feeding the puppy
Normally puppies require more food than adults to meet their energy requirement for growth. They should be fed in a correct time interval. The puppy food for large dogs must be chosen for their health. Boxer puppies must be fed twice in a day and two cups of food will be better for them for one time. Upto 6 months this method is recommended. Feeding them by dividing the meals into smaller portion will be good since they will eat too much and very fast. Weight of the puppy should be checked regularly and food should be given according to that.
Feeding the adult
The food given to the boxer will effect in the dog's health and its life span too. Also it should match our budget also. Overfeeding will make them overweight and thus bringing harm to them. It is recommended to feed boxer two times a day to avoid bloat. Food should be given such that the dog completely eats it and if they can't eat completely then the balance food must be thrown away to avoid over eating. They should not be given food while we eat even once as it will develop begging behaviour in them.
Games and Exercises
Boxers are not suitable for living in outdoors, since they have short coats and short noses. But they like to play in a fenced yard. It is recommended to make them walk for half an hour twice a day. Playing flyball with them will make them happy and making him exercised will give him a good behaviour.
The Westie is friendly with children but not all the time. So some care should be taken while they are near children.
They like to chase rodents like rabbits as they are interested in hunting.
They are suitable for apartment living unless they are left alone for a very long time. They love cold weather more than hot.
They can be trained by giving some extra efforts.
They are good kid friendly dogs. He is famous for his alertness and thus a wonderful watchdog. He loves to play with children. The nature of dog varies according to the heredity and society. The temperaments of the parents will effect in the puppy. Boxer is a friendly companion and loves to be with its family all the time and play with them.
Boxers are good for apartment living provided they are taken for a walk and exercised daily. It will be good if anyone stays with him always since he doesn't like being alone. He should be taken out only in a moderate weather as both hot and cold weather cannot be tolerated by him. He will suffer a lot in hot weather when compared with cold.
Training is necessary for them to refreshed physically and mentally. Boxer is a quick learner and rewarding them will make them more interested in doing it. Training should be started from basic commands like sit, stay and come. Boxer should be trained to not jump on visitors who come. They are very energetic and powerful and are eager to learn if properly taught.
Comparison with other breeds
- West Highland White Terrier vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- French Bulldog vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Beagle vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Yorkshire Terrier vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs French Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Yorkshire Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Boxer - Breed Comparison