Rottweiler vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
West Highland White Terrier is originated from United Kingdom but Rottweiler is originated from Germany. West Highland White Terrier may grow 39 cm / 15 inches shorter than Rottweiler. West Highland White Terrier may weigh 50 kg / 110 pounds lesser than Rottweiler. West Highland White Terrier may live 5 years more than Rottweiler. West Highland White Terrier may have less litter size than Rottweiler. West Highland White Terrier requires High Maintenance. But Rottweiler requires Low Maintenance
The West highland white terrier originated from Poltalloch in Scotland. So they were initially called as Poltalloch terrier and after that they were called as Roseneath terrier. They were initially used for hunting fox, badger, otter and in killing the vermin like rats.
The breed history says that Colonel Malcolm of Poltalloch was the reason for the Westie's white colour. This is because in 19th centuryhe went for hunting with his dogs and accidentally he shot his dog as its colour was as fox. So he decided to breed only white colour dogs.
It is beleived to be the Rottweiler has been developed from the Roman cattle dogs. The Roman empire made a camp in a place at Germany in 74 AD. The area was called as 'das Rote Wil' and later as 'Rottweil'. In the middle ages Rottweiler was used in bear hunting and as a cattle dog. In 1899 the International club for Leonbergers and Rottweiler dogs was formed in Germany. In 19th century due to set in of railways the cattle was moved by railways and the need for the breed declined. When the world war was set in there came a heavy demand for police dogs. Rottweilers played a major role in first and second world war.
In 1921 many German Rottweiler clubs joined together to form ADRK, which is Allgemeiner Deutscher Rottweiler Klub. This is said to be the home club of Rottweiler. American kennel club recognised them in 1931. They become 9th most popular breed in America in 2013.
The Westie can be said as that a small dog having the talents of the big dog. They are very popular for their obedience. They are also working as therapy dogs and also some in search and rescue teams. The home having Westie will have fun always and be enthusiastic. They will suit them for country or city living, but they like to live with their family. They are well suitable for apartment living, but some training should be given to them for not barking. They can stay in home when you are at work. Westie can be taken to travel, whether it may be long vacation or a short visit.
They are quick learners and so training them is not difficult. Mistakes of them can be corrected patiently since they don't like harsh activities against them. Westie will definitely bark when he sees something or hear different sounds. He will bark on seeing visitors or even other dogs. Sometimes they will bark for very silly things but when given appropriate training in their young stage, they can bark only for alerts.
Rottweilers are good natured, obedient and are very much eager to work. They are calm, confident and an excellent watchdog. They will not make friends immediately. Rottweilers can be said as an all purpose dog since they are suitable as companion and watch dog as well. He is good in herding and guarding as genital feature. Rottweiler must be trained from its younger stage and should not be hit while training. They have high energy level and thus they are interested in doing work if properly trained. There are more possibilities of biting the strangers because of watchdog tendency.
They are very good in herding sheeps as they have a natural gathering style. They are clever and adjusts the barking sound according to the situation. While herding they used to prove the leadership by selecting the dominant one in the flock and challenging it. If they were made to watch a same flock of cattle regularly, then they will develop a bond with them and will be affectionate with them as long as the cattle obeys its commands.
Itchy skin and pyoderma are common in terriers. Skin diseases such as Seborrhea and epidermal dysplasia are also found in them.
Westies have possibilities of getting yeast infections in skin[Malassezia Dermatitis] and due to that hair loss will be more.
The health issues affecting the eyes of them are Cataract and Progressive Retinal Atropy. Health problems common in their joints are Hip Dysplasia, Elbow Dysplasia and Panosteitis. They also have chances to get circulatory system problems like Aortic Stenosis and Von Willebrand's Disease. Other common health problems in Rottweiler are Bloat and Cancer.
Mostly people think that Rottweilers don't shed but they are short haired dog and sheds more. They are having double coat that is undercoat and topcoat. The undercoat is softer and protects them in winter and topcoat is rougher and visible. It is said that they will shed in spring and winter seasons. Shedding can be reduced by brushing them.
Caring The Pet
Feeding the puppy
The puppy should be fed 3 to 4 times per day as it requires a considerable amount for their growth. Cooked chicken breast and turkey are best for them and also vegetables should be given to them. Beef and chicken should be kept a limit as it will lead to itchy skin and allergies.
Feeding the adult
The preferable food for the Westie is home cooked. The home food will only contain all the essential nutrients for the Westie.
Points for Good Health
Eventhough the Westie is suitable for apartment living it is recommended to have a daily walk for him to be active and refreshing.
Games and Exercises
They should be made to play for atleast 30 minutes per day for their health as to not gain overweight. Grown up children can play with them as they like it.
Feeding the puppy
Rottweiler puppies should be given a diet which has protein, carbohydrates and fats. They need different diets in their growing stages. They can be given chicken with bones and vegetables for 4 days in a week. Beef with vegetables can also be given. When feeding them red meat a raw meaty bone can also be included. Fish oil can be given such that starting with 1000 mg and making it to 3000 mg in a time of two weeks.
Feeding the adult
High calories of protein should be provided to them to meet their energy requirements. While buying commercial food it should be checked for the main ingredient to be meat. Protein levels should be more from animals than vegetables. High quality dairy products should be included. Food should not have low quality flavours and preservatives. Healthy fat is necessary for their skin and coat. If these fats are not provided it will cause dandruff and itchy skin.
Points for Good Health
Brushing them weekly once is recommended for their coat and skin. Buying the puppy from reputable breeder will be better. Vaccinations and preventive medicines should be given on right time. Spaying and Neutering should be done to avoid unwanted pregnancy. High quality diet should be maintained. Making them to bath once in a week is advisable. Nails should be trimmed once in every two weeks.
Games and Exercises
Rottweilers like to chase something and Laser pointer will be a good game for them. It will make them busy and also entertain us. But it should be on a limit and they should not get bored. A treat or toy can be hided and they can be made to find it. A bottle should be filled with water and frozen. The frozen bottle can be given to them for playing. In summer time it will make them very happy to play with it. A ball or toy can be thrown and they can be made to fetch it. Walking them is also a good exercise.
The Westie is friendly with children but not all the time. So some care should be taken while they are near children.
They like to chase rodents like rabbits as they are interested in hunting.
They are suitable for apartment living unless they are left alone for a very long time. They love cold weather more than hot.
They can be trained by giving some extra efforts.
They are friendly with children and enjoy the company with them. But it is not advised to leave them with children without adult supervision.
Rottweilers do not make friends immediately but take time to know about new people. He is an excellent watchdog. Males are quiet in nature but are watchful and females are more affectionate and obey some more. A good training is required for them to obey your orders.
They are not good for apartment life and thus a fenced back yard will be better for them to play and spend the energy. They require companion and will be happy to walk around with you. Hot weather will be some what better for them when compared with cold.
Rottweilers are easy to train because of their high intelligence. The training should be started in their young stage to have best results. They should not be dominated but treated kindly with understanding. They should be comfortable with the surroundings and people. Giving him a reward for training will make him interested in doing it. If he does a mistake then he should not be hit, so that he may get fear and loss his interest in doing it. Punishments will never work for them but rewarding will make him encouraged. Simple commands such as sit and stand shall be taught to them.
Comparison with other breeds
- West Highland White Terrier vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- French Bulldog vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Beagle vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Yorkshire Terrier vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs French Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Yorkshire Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison