Siberian Husky vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
West Highland White Terrier is originated from United Kingdom but Siberian Husky is originated from Russia. West Highland White Terrier may grow 30 cm / 11 inches shorter than Siberian Husky. West Highland White Terrier may weigh 17 kg / 37 pounds lesser than Siberian Husky. Both West Highland White Terrier and Siberian Husky has almost same life span. Both West Highland White Terrier and Siberian Husky has almost same litter size. West Highland White Terrier requires High Maintenance. But Siberian Husky requires Moderate Maintenance
The West highland white terrier originated from Poltalloch in Scotland. So they were initially called as Poltalloch terrier and after that they were called as Roseneath terrier. They were initially used for hunting fox, badger, otter and in killing the vermin like rats.
The breed history says that Colonel Malcolm of Poltalloch was the reason for the Westie's white colour. This is because in 19th centuryhe went for hunting with his dogs and accidentally he shot his dog as its colour was as fox. So he decided to breed only white colour dogs.
Chukchi is a tribe in Siberian nomads and huskies are beleived to be originated with them. DNA tests on huskies prove that they are the oldest among the dog breeds. Huskies are very close to Chukchi people and they used them to travel fast. Also children used to sleep with them as they provide body heat to them. Huskies also like to be very close to the children. In 1908 at the gold rush, huskies were imported to Alaska and used as sled dogs. In Alaska they were used for dog sled race until today.
Huskies were exported from Siberia and they continued their journey in North America. American kennel club recognized them in 1930 and the Siberian club of america has been founded in 1938.
The Westie can be said as that a small dog having the talents of the big dog. They are very popular for their obedience. They are also working as therapy dogs and also some in search and rescue teams. The home having Westie will have fun always and be enthusiastic. They will suit them for country or city living, but they like to live with their family. They are well suitable for apartment living, but some training should be given to them for not barking. They can stay in home when you are at work. Westie can be taken to travel, whether it may be long vacation or a short visit.
They are quick learners and so training them is not difficult. Mistakes of them can be corrected patiently since they don't like harsh activities against them. Westie will definitely bark when he sees something or hear different sounds. He will bark on seeing visitors or even other dogs. Sometimes they will bark for very silly things but when given appropriate training in their young stage, they can bark only for alerts.
The Huskies are said to be one of the beautiful dog breeds in the world. They are well known for their thick coat and blue coloured eyes. Huskies are really challenging for new dog owners. It is preferred to give them a fenced yard and the fence should be sunk well to the ground to prevent them from escaping, as they always try to escape. They are medium sized working dogs having high energy level. Initially huskies were developed as sled dogs.
They are affectionate and intelligent breed. Also they are independent in nature. They are kid friendly dogs and also are friendly with everyone including strangers. Huskies will be a good companion when given proper training and care. They are low shedders but it depends on the climate it lives. Normally they dont shed in cold climate but in warmer climate they will do. They shed heavily twice in a year for a three week strech. Normally huskies do not suit well for apartment living. They are not watchdogs as they will bark very rarely but it enjoys to howl.
Itchy skin and pyoderma are common in terriers. Skin diseases such as Seborrhea and epidermal dysplasia are also found in them.
Westies have possibilities of getting yeast infections in skin[Malassezia Dermatitis] and due to that hair loss will be more.
Siberian husky suffers with minor health problems such as hypothyroidism, Progressive retinal atrophy and cataract. They are also prone to lose pigment in nose and muzzle. Some health problems occur due to bad breeding practices and some due to environmental problems where the puppy is brought up. They have also chances to get skin disease such as allergies.
When they are in the age of 2 to 5 years, they are having chances to hairloss due to Alopecia X. This condition mainly causes due to hair clipping in Siberians. They will be healthy but the hair will not grow in affected areas. Siberians are double coated and when the situation prevails the topcoat will fall off first and the undercoat follows it. The hair will fall off in both side of the dog in same area. Spaying or neutering will reduce such problems as it causes because of sex hormones.
Caring The Pet
Feeding the puppy
The puppy should be fed 3 to 4 times per day as it requires a considerable amount for their growth. Cooked chicken breast and turkey are best for them and also vegetables should be given to them. Beef and chicken should be kept a limit as it will lead to itchy skin and allergies.
Feeding the adult
The preferable food for the Westie is home cooked. The home food will only contain all the essential nutrients for the Westie.
Points for Good Health
Eventhough the Westie is suitable for apartment living it is recommended to have a daily walk for him to be active and refreshing.
Games and Exercises
They should be made to play for atleast 30 minutes per day for their health as to not gain overweight. Grown up children can play with them as they like it.
Feeding the puppy
In one method of feeding the food will be given always available but this method is not recommended as it has some problems. This method is followed by large breeders because of lack of time to spend on individuals. Another method is to keep meal for 3 times a day. At about 12 to 16 weeks of age the meals can be reduced to two times a day. In this method the meal given should not be there after 15 minutes even if puppy did not ate. The important training for puppies while eating is they should not growl when the food is taken by its master.
Feeding the adult
Many Siberian experts don't like commercial dog food as they are sure that because of such foods dog may get problems like itching, dandruff, loose stools and hot spots. According to experts the good food for them are home cooked food from turkey, real chicken, beef and fish. Fruits and fresh vegetables are also very good for them. It is advised by dog owners to add only low salt or even without salt in their food. Also sugar is not good for them as it will bring some problems like hairfall and itching.
Points for Good Health
Siberians can be easily groomed. Their eyes should be checked in puppyhood as they get chances to get eye problems and hereditary eye diseases. It is advised to make siberians to bath once in a year and they must be brushed once in a week. While brushing, the ears should be inspected and its teeth should be brushed. It is good to trim the long hairs in their feet and also nails should be trimmed slightly and very carefully as they have blood vessels there.
Games and Exercises
To give siberians training and exercises the home should be prepared for them and it is better to make a fenced yard to prevent escapes. They have very high chances to escape and so the fence should be minimum 6 feet high and base should be strong as it should not break it or dig under to escape. Since they are active from their puppyhood they must be given lots of exercise. They should be socialized in their early stages as to get good behaviour and manners.
The Westie is friendly with children but not all the time. So some care should be taken while they are near children.
They like to chase rodents like rabbits as they are interested in hunting.
They are suitable for apartment living unless they are left alone for a very long time. They love cold weather more than hot.
They can be trained by giving some extra efforts.
Siberian huskies are very much affectionate with children. But it is necessary to train both parties to behave with each other. It is recommended to have an adult supervision for younger children.
They are very good diggers and so they should be watched if they are in garden. They tolerate well in cold weather and mostly huskies can be seen in the area of snow falling. They are very good in pulling sledges.
They adapt well in cold weather. It is advised to give them a well fenced yard. They do not like apartment living. Also they do not like to be alone and if kept alone for long time they will disturb your house and make it dirty.
Training huskies is not so easy but it is a challenging job. Hence they are not recommended for new dog owners. Only experienced dog owners can train them and also high patience is required.
Comparison with other breeds
- West Highland White Terrier vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- French Bulldog vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Beagle vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Yorkshire Terrier vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs French Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Yorkshire Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs English Pointer - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Siberian Husky - Breed Comparison