Boxer vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
Golden Retriever is originated from United Kingdom but Boxer is originated from Germany. Both Golden Retriever and Boxer are having almost same height. Both Golden Retriever and Boxer are having almost same weight. Golden Retriever may live 3 years less than Boxer. Both Golden Retriever and Boxer has almost same litter size. Golden Retriever requires Moderate Maintenance. But Boxer requires Low Maintenance
In the late 19th century boxer was developed in Germany. It is a part of the Molosser dog group. The breed Brabanter Bullenbeisser is said to be the ancestor of the Boxer. He got the name Boxer as he stands with his back legs and does like a boxer do. In 1895 the breed came to a dog show by three germans named Friedrich Robert, Elard Konig and Hopner. In 1896 they founded the first boxer club as Deutscher Boxer Club. In 1902 the first Boxer breed standard was published by the club. The breed was introduced to United States in 20th century. The boxer involved in military work and also worked as a messenger dog. After 2nd world war they became popular as the soldiers brought them and introduced.
The Golden retriever always gets in the top ten ranking in USA. They are very intelligent and beautiful. Also they are very active and they take more years to mature as they like being silly and playful. Up-to four years they seem to play like a puppy. As the breed is set in for hunting waterfowl and ducks, they need a regular exercise such as walking or running. They love to roam in the yard and run in the beach.
They love to be always with his master and so it will be inside the home. They can be involved in doing regular home activities. Their characteristic is not to be a watchdog, as it barks when a stranger comes and after that they love to make friendship with him. They don't like to spend time alone and hence love to make new friends. When you think of buying a golden retriever puppy you should check whether the breeder is a reputable breeder.They must be well trained for a good result. When bringing it to many different areas they will gain more knowledge and intelligence. The nails can be trimmed at a regular interval which will be good for the foot of your dog.
Boxer is a breed which is medium in size and has short hair. They have very strong jaws as to hunt large prey even hanging on biting them. It belongs to the working group. Boxers are well known for their love and faithfullness. Also he is very intelligent and its cleanliness makes him to be good dog for home. They are very energetic and are playful in nature. When boxers where trained by giving reward to them it is sure that they will perform its best. Normally they like to have good companionship with humans and smaller dogs.
They are incredible in their alertness and well suitable for watchdog. Boxers will be playful and silly till 3 years as they will mature after that only. They require only a minimum amount of grooming. They are suitable for apartment living until they are with their owners. Boxer owners will be sure to enjoy its clownish behaviour. They will be excited many time and show that by spinning in circles and making a sound which the owner will understand that he is happy or he needs some thing which is in the hands of his owner.
The golden retriever sheds hair profusely. The shedding can be reduced by brushing 3 times a week as it will remove the dead hair.Mild shampoo containing omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids must be used so that it will prevent hair fall and provides healthy skin and fur. The hair can be trimmed but it should not be shaved as the pet will get problems during winter. Adding a drop of olive oil in the dog food will reduce shedding.
The major health problems Boxers get includes Cancer, heart problems such as Aortic stenosis, Gastric dilatation and intestinal problems. Infection is the major problem in puppies. Boxers are also in a risk of getting degenerative myelopathy which is a neurologic problem. Allergies and skin problems are also a problem in them. It is difficult to recognize a growing puppy to be free from all diseases and the only thing we can do is to buy the puppy from a reputable breeder.
Boxers may lose their hair due to some diseases and conditions. When some materials such as nickel, rubber and wool are accidentally touched by them it may cause allergies and hairfall follows it. Some auto immune disorders leads to hairfall. Due to some inhalation of pollen or house dust the problem may happen. Some bacterial infection and hormonal problems may also leads to hairfall.
Caring The Pet
Feeding the puppy
The puppy should be fed 3 times a day and it should be morning 7 and noon and evening within 6. They should not be fed after 6pm and should not be given water after 7pm as to make them a perfect watchdog. Peas, potatoes and flaxseed provide nutrition for them. Chicken fat is good for their skin. Chicory root and chelated minerals are good for their health.
Feeding the adult
The Golden retriever can be fed by normal nutritious and proteins content food as they will gain much energy for them.
Points for Good Health
As the golden retriever has chances of getting bone problems they should not overfed.
Games and Exercises
They are having high energy levels and hence they require playing for 2 hours daily. The breed was set in for sporting and hunting and so it likes to play, run and jog.
Feeding the puppy
Normally puppies require more food than adults to meet their energy requirement for growth. They should be fed in a correct time interval. The puppy food for large dogs must be chosen for their health. Boxer puppies must be fed twice in a day and two cups of food will be better for them for one time. Upto 6 months this method is recommended. Feeding them by dividing the meals into smaller portion will be good since they will eat too much and very fast. Weight of the puppy should be checked regularly and food should be given according to that.
Feeding the adult
The food given to the boxer will effect in the dog's health and its life span too. Also it should match our budget also. Overfeeding will make them overweight and thus bringing harm to them. It is recommended to feed boxer two times a day to avoid bloat. Food should be given such that the dog completely eats it and if they can't eat completely then the balance food must be thrown away to avoid over eating. They should not be given food while we eat even once as it will develop begging behaviour in them.
Games and Exercises
Boxers are not suitable for living in outdoors, since they have short coats and short noses. But they like to play in a fenced yard. It is recommended to make them walk for half an hour twice a day. Playing flyball with them will make them happy and making him exercised will give him a good behaviour.
The Golden retriever has a good energy which helps them to be a great hunting dog.
They have a high sensitivity level and will enjoy moderate weather. They don't like apartment life as they love to roam freely and explore new areas.
They also have a high intelligence and so learns tricks very quickly. They love to hold something in mouth and run.
They are good kid friendly dogs. He is famous for his alertness and thus a wonderful watchdog. He loves to play with children. The nature of dog varies according to the heredity and society. The temperaments of the parents will effect in the puppy. Boxer is a friendly companion and loves to be with its family all the time and play with them.
Boxers are good for apartment living provided they are taken for a walk and exercised daily. It will be good if anyone stays with him always since he doesn't like being alone. He should be taken out only in a moderate weather as both hot and cold weather cannot be tolerated by him. He will suffer a lot in hot weather when compared with cold.
Training is necessary for them to refreshed physically and mentally. Boxer is a quick learner and rewarding them will make them more interested in doing it. Training should be started from basic commands like sit, stay and come. Boxer should be trained to not jump on visitors who come. They are very energetic and powerful and are eager to learn if properly taught.
Comparison with other breeds
- Golden Retriever vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Golden Retriever vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Labrador Retriever vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- French Bulldog vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Beagle vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Yorkshire Terrier vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs French Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Yorkshire Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Boxer - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Boxer - Breed Comparison