Rottweiler vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
Golden Retriever is originated from United Kingdom but Rottweiler is originated from Germany. Golden Retriever may grow 8 cm / 3 inches shorter than Rottweiler. Golden Retriever may weigh 24 kg / 52 pounds lesser than Rottweiler. Both Golden Retriever and Rottweiler has almost same life span. Both Golden Retriever and Rottweiler has almost same litter size. Golden Retriever requires Moderate Maintenance. But Rottweiler requires Low Maintenance
It is beleived to be the Rottweiler has been developed from the Roman cattle dogs. The Roman empire made a camp in a place at Germany in 74 AD. The area was called as 'das Rote Wil' and later as 'Rottweil'. In the middle ages Rottweiler was used in bear hunting and as a cattle dog. In 1899 the International club for Leonbergers and Rottweiler dogs was formed in Germany. In 19th century due to set in of railways the cattle was moved by railways and the need for the breed declined. When the world war was set in there came a heavy demand for police dogs. Rottweilers played a major role in first and second world war.
In 1921 many German Rottweiler clubs joined together to form ADRK, which is Allgemeiner Deutscher Rottweiler Klub. This is said to be the home club of Rottweiler. American kennel club recognised them in 1931. They become 9th most popular breed in America in 2013.
The Golden retriever always gets in the top ten ranking in USA. They are very intelligent and beautiful. Also they are very active and they take more years to mature as they like being silly and playful. Up-to four years they seem to play like a puppy. As the breed is set in for hunting waterfowl and ducks, they need a regular exercise such as walking or running. They love to roam in the yard and run in the beach.
They love to be always with his master and so it will be inside the home. They can be involved in doing regular home activities. Their characteristic is not to be a watchdog, as it barks when a stranger comes and after that they love to make friendship with him. They don't like to spend time alone and hence love to make new friends. When you think of buying a golden retriever puppy you should check whether the breeder is a reputable breeder.They must be well trained for a good result. When bringing it to many different areas they will gain more knowledge and intelligence. The nails can be trimmed at a regular interval which will be good for the foot of your dog.
Rottweilers are good natured, obedient and are very much eager to work. They are calm, confident and an excellent watchdog. They will not make friends immediately. Rottweilers can be said as an all purpose dog since they are suitable as companion and watch dog as well. He is good in herding and guarding as genital feature. Rottweiler must be trained from its younger stage and should not be hit while training. They have high energy level and thus they are interested in doing work if properly trained. There are more possibilities of biting the strangers because of watchdog tendency.
They are very good in herding sheeps as they have a natural gathering style. They are clever and adjusts the barking sound according to the situation. While herding they used to prove the leadership by selecting the dominant one in the flock and challenging it. If they were made to watch a same flock of cattle regularly, then they will develop a bond with them and will be affectionate with them as long as the cattle obeys its commands.
The golden retriever sheds hair profusely. The shedding can be reduced by brushing 3 times a week as it will remove the dead hair.Mild shampoo containing omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids must be used so that it will prevent hair fall and provides healthy skin and fur. The hair can be trimmed but it should not be shaved as the pet will get problems during winter. Adding a drop of olive oil in the dog food will reduce shedding.
The health issues affecting the eyes of them are Cataract and Progressive Retinal Atropy. Health problems common in their joints are Hip Dysplasia, Elbow Dysplasia and Panosteitis. They also have chances to get circulatory system problems like Aortic Stenosis and Von Willebrand's Disease. Other common health problems in Rottweiler are Bloat and Cancer.
Mostly people think that Rottweilers don't shed but they are short haired dog and sheds more. They are having double coat that is undercoat and topcoat. The undercoat is softer and protects them in winter and topcoat is rougher and visible. It is said that they will shed in spring and winter seasons. Shedding can be reduced by brushing them.
Caring The Pet
Feeding the puppy
The puppy should be fed 3 times a day and it should be morning 7 and noon and evening within 6. They should not be fed after 6pm and should not be given water after 7pm as to make them a perfect watchdog. Peas, potatoes and flaxseed provide nutrition for them. Chicken fat is good for their skin. Chicory root and chelated minerals are good for their health.
Feeding the adult
The Golden retriever can be fed by normal nutritious and proteins content food as they will gain much energy for them.
Points for Good Health
As the golden retriever has chances of getting bone problems they should not overfed.
Games and Exercises
They are having high energy levels and hence they require playing for 2 hours daily. The breed was set in for sporting and hunting and so it likes to play, run and jog.
Feeding the puppy
Rottweiler puppies should be given a diet which has protein, carbohydrates and fats. They need different diets in their growing stages. They can be given chicken with bones and vegetables for 4 days in a week. Beef with vegetables can also be given. When feeding them red meat a raw meaty bone can also be included. Fish oil can be given such that starting with 1000 mg and making it to 3000 mg in a time of two weeks.
Feeding the adult
High calories of protein should be provided to them to meet their energy requirements. While buying commercial food it should be checked for the main ingredient to be meat. Protein levels should be more from animals than vegetables. High quality dairy products should be included. Food should not have low quality flavours and preservatives. Healthy fat is necessary for their skin and coat. If these fats are not provided it will cause dandruff and itchy skin.
Points for Good Health
Brushing them weekly once is recommended for their coat and skin. Buying the puppy from reputable breeder will be better. Vaccinations and preventive medicines should be given on right time. Spaying and Neutering should be done to avoid unwanted pregnancy. High quality diet should be maintained. Making them to bath once in a week is advisable. Nails should be trimmed once in every two weeks.
Games and Exercises
Rottweilers like to chase something and Laser pointer will be a good game for them. It will make them busy and also entertain us. But it should be on a limit and they should not get bored. A treat or toy can be hided and they can be made to find it. A bottle should be filled with water and frozen. The frozen bottle can be given to them for playing. In summer time it will make them very happy to play with it. A ball or toy can be thrown and they can be made to fetch it. Walking them is also a good exercise.
The Golden retriever has a good energy which helps them to be a great hunting dog.
They have a high sensitivity level and will enjoy moderate weather. They don't like apartment life as they love to roam freely and explore new areas.
They also have a high intelligence and so learns tricks very quickly. They love to hold something in mouth and run.
Rottweilers do not make friends immediately but take time to know about new people. He is an excellent watchdog. Males are quiet in nature but are watchful and females are more affectionate and obey some more. A good training is required for them to obey your orders.
They are not good for apartment life and thus a fenced back yard will be better for them to play and spend the energy. They require companion and will be happy to walk around with you. Hot weather will be some what better for them when compared with cold.
Rottweilers are easy to train because of their high intelligence. The training should be started in their young stage to have best results. They should not be dominated but treated kindly with understanding. They should be comfortable with the surroundings and people. Giving him a reward for training will make him interested in doing it. If he does a mistake then he should not be hit, so that he may get fear and loss his interest in doing it. Punishments will never work for them but rewarding will make him encouraged. Simple commands such as sit and stand shall be taught to them.
Comparison with other breeds
- Golden Retriever vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Golden Retriever vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Labrador Retriever vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- French Bulldog vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Beagle vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Yorkshire Terrier vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs French Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Beagle - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Yorkshire Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Poodle - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Abruzzenhund vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Affenpinscher vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Afghan Hound vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Aidi vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Airedale Terrier vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Akbash Dog vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Akita vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Africanis vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Askal vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Atlas Terrier vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison
- Aussie Poo vs Rottweiler - Breed Comparison