West Highland White Terrier vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
The Golden retriever originated in 1800s at Scotland by a British aristocrat. The British lords in the Scotland were very much interested in hunting. For hunting purposes they needed an excellent hunting dog. As the result Golden retriever originated as a brave and beautiful dog.
The West highland white terrier originated from Poltalloch in Scotland. So they were initially called as Poltalloch terrier and after that they were called as Roseneath terrier. They were initially used for hunting fox, badger, otter and in killing the vermin like rats.
The breed history says that Colonel Malcolm of Poltalloch was the reason for the Westie's white colour. This is because in 19th centuryhe went for hunting with his dogs and accidentally he shot his dog as its colour was as fox. So he decided to breed only white colour dogs.
The Golden retriever always gets in the top ten ranking in USA. They are very intelligent and beautiful. Also they are very active and they take more years to mature as they like being silly and playful. Up-to four years they seem to play like a puppy. As the breed is set in for hunting waterfowl and ducks, they need a regular exercise such as walking or running. They love to roam in the yard and run in the beach.
They love to be always with his master and so it will be inside the home. They can be involved in doing regular home activities. Their characteristic is not to be a watchdog, as it barks when a stranger comes and after that they love to make friendship with him. They don't like to spend time alone and hence love to make new friends. When you think of buying a golden retriever puppy you should check whether the breeder is a reputable breeder.They must be well trained for a good result. When bringing it to many different areas they will gain more knowledge and intelligence. The nails can be trimmed at a regular interval which will be good for the foot of your dog.
The Westie can be said as that a small dog having the talents of the big dog. They are very popular for their obedience. They are also working as therapy dogs and also some in search and rescue teams. The home having Westie will have fun always and be enthusiastic. They will suit them for country or city living, but they like to live with their family. They are well suitable for apartment living, but some training should be given to them for not barking. They can stay in home when you are at work. Westie can be taken to travel, whether it may be long vacation or a short visit.
They are quick learners and so training them is not difficult. Mistakes of them can be corrected patiently since they don't like harsh activities against them. Westie will definitely bark when he sees something or hear different sounds. He will bark on seeing visitors or even other dogs. Sometimes they will bark for very silly things but when given appropriate training in their young stage, they can bark only for alerts.
As the golden retriever gains weight very easily, they should not be overfed. They are prone to get cancer, hip dysplasia, heart problems, eye defects and skin allergies.
The golden retriever sheds hair profusely. The shedding can be reduced by brushing 3 times a week as it will remove the dead hair.Mild shampoo containing omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids must be used so that it will prevent hair fall and provides healthy skin and fur. The hair can be trimmed but it should not be shaved as the pet will get problems during winter. Adding a drop of olive oil in the dog food will reduce shedding.
Caring The Pet
Feeding the puppy
The puppy should be fed 3 times a day and it should be morning 7 and noon and evening within 6. They should not be fed after 6pm and should not be given water after 7pm as to make them a perfect watchdog. Peas, potatoes and flaxseed provide nutrition for them. Chicken fat is good for their skin. Chicory root and chelated minerals are good for their health.
Feeding the adult
The Golden retriever can be fed by normal nutritious and proteins content food as they will gain much energy for them.
Points for Good Health
As the golden retriever has chances of getting bone problems they should not overfed.
Games and Exercises
They are having high energy levels and hence they require playing for 2 hours daily. The breed was set in for sporting and hunting and so it likes to play, run and jog.
Feeding the puppy
The puppy should be fed 3 to 4 times per day as it requires a considerable amount for their growth. Cooked chicken breast and turkey are best for them and also vegetables should be given to them. Beef and chicken should be kept a limit as it will lead to itchy skin and allergies.
Feeding the adult
The preferable food for the Westie is home cooked. The home food will only contain all the essential nutrients for the Westie.
Points for Good Health
Eventhough the Westie is suitable for apartment living it is recommended to have a daily walk for him to be active and refreshing.
Games and Exercises
They should be made to play for atleast 30 minutes per day for their health as to not gain overweight. Grown up children can play with them as they like it.
They love so much to play and spend time with children.
The Golden retriever has a good energy which helps them to be a great hunting dog.
They have a high sensitivity level and will enjoy moderate weather. They don't like apartment life as they love to roam freely and explore new areas.
They also have a high intelligence and so learns tricks very quickly. They love to hold something in mouth and run.
The Westie is friendly with children but not all the time. So some care should be taken while they are near children.
They like to chase rodents like rabbits as they are interested in hunting.
They are suitable for apartment living unless they are left alone for a very long time. They love cold weather more than hot.
They can be trained by giving some extra efforts.
Comparison with other breeds
- Golden Retriever vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- Golden Retriever vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- Labrador Retriever vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- French Bulldog vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Beagle vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Yorkshire Terrier vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs Golden Retriever - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs English Bulldog - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs German Shepherd - Breed Comparison
- West Highland White Terrier vs Labrador Retriever - Breed Comparison
- French Bulldog vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Beagle vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Yorkshire Terrier vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Poodle vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Rottweiler vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Boxer vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- English Pointer vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Siberian Husky vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- Doberman Pinscher vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison
- American Bully vs West Highland White Terrier - Breed Comparison